Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Transplantation A Pig Heart Has Been Transplant For the First Time Into a Human

• A Pig Heart Has Been Transplant For the First Time Into a Human

Posted by Colleen on January 10, 2022 at 4:29 pm

As many of you know, my son received a heart and double-lung transplant. He was on the list for a year and rapidly declining when he finally received the call. Some patients end up waiting even longer.

I’m in awe of what the University of Maryland University of Maryland School of Medicine just did! They have successfully transplanted a heart from a gene-edited pig, into a human. The recipient has lived 3 days so far and the doctors are hopeful that their patient will survive.

Here is a link to the article: First pig-to-human heart transplant offers hope for thousands in need of organs 

The article mentions their intentions of using pigs for kidney transplants as well. A kidney transplant is possibly in my son’s future so I plan on following this progress.

There are of course ethical issues involved, especially from animal activists. And although they claim a person could potentially live a normal human life-span with donated pig organs, my husband is wondering how they have determined that when a pig’s life-span is usually 15-20 years.

The article is long but easy to read and very interesting. I would love you hear your opinion about this medical breakthrough.

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jen-cueva

January 11, 2022 at 2:27 pm

I read a brief article about this last night, @colleensteele. The one you shared offers much more and was an exciting read.

As you say, there are many questions and concerns from animal activists. Brian makes an excellent point and questions about the lifespan of a pig. We can only stay tuned as this offers an option for others needing a heart, kidney, or lung—hopefully Mtr. Bennett’s transplant will be the first of many. I wish him and his family all the best as he recovers and learns about post-transplant life.

Besides the animal activists, what do you think will be the most significant debate with using animal organs in humans?

Hopefully, many others will take the time to read this article. This is quite relevant as many have or will need a heart and/or lung transplant one day.

• tracey

January 11, 2022 at 3:05 pm

@colleensteele I was totally fascinated to see that on TV, but maybe not as surprised or ethically opposed as some may be. The valve used in my valve replacement is from a pig so I’ve got just a tiny little information on using pig “parts”. And Brian is right because I’ve been told that this valve will not last for more than 10 years. I think the thinking around giving me a pig valve was that it operates more effectively, and since my cardiologist recently told my insurance company that my long term prognosis is poor, the valve may outlast me.

• Colleen

January 11, 2022 at 8:58 pm

@jenc and @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za I am a huge animal lover but I have to be honest and say I’m all for the use of animals in situations like this. I do pray that things are done as humanly as possible. The reality is, without the use of animals the medical field would have never advanced. I’m afraid it’s a necessary evil.

Then it takes brave people like Mr. Bennett to be the first human to offer themselves to science. I hope they have continued success and hopefully shorten the list of people who will die every year waiting for a transplant. Maybe it will even make more people eligible who otherwise would not be?

• jen-cueva

January 12, 2022 at 1:43 pm

Hi @colleensteele and @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, I agree; it is a necessary evil. But if it offers others a chance at new beginnings, I’m all for it! I believe that it’s worth it because many people have been using animal organs for years, and not much has been shared.

Tracey, I know many others have had valves from pigs, so you’re not alone. I’m grateful that they had that option for you. But I’m saddened to hear about your poor prognosis. I hope that this doesn’t bring your spirits down. How are you feeling about that after recent surgeries?

Who knows what this will open up in the world of medical advances?