• Are You A Gamer?

Posted by Colleen on February 11, 2021 at 1:35 pm

This topic has been mentioned during other forum conversations but I thought I would address it full on. People, adults especially, can often feel embarrassed if there is a game they enjoy and play often. I’m talking anything from on-line solitaire, Candy Crush, word games, etc.. Games like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Sports, etc.. Or maybe a little more hard-core and enjoy games like World of Warcraft. There are many, many more options, but you get the point.

I for one, am grateful for the relaxation I enjoy when playing the little games I enjoy. But most of all, it has been an emotional life-saver for my son throughout his PH and even post-transplant challenges. The distraction has always been welcome and I believe, in moderation, there isn’t anything wrong with gaming.

What are your thoughts? What games do you enjoy? Do you call them your, “guilty pleasures” like I do?

Check-out my column from this week for more about my thoughts and experiences regarding gaming.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Carol Volckmann

February 11, 2021 at 7:17 pm

Yes Colleen, I too use to feel guilty playing games on my phone. I felt that I was using gaming to avoid being more productive. I play wordscapes, solitaire and word finder. I don’t feel guilty any longer. I am using my brain and concentrating less on my illness, my meds, doctor visits etc etc. I guess I do have to admit sometimes the guilt comes back so … to be honest I am still working on pushing all the guilt away!

• jen-cueva

February 12, 2021 at 11:03 am

Another important topic and excellent take @colleensteele. Your stories reminded me of when I would play Farmtown on FB with many PHriends. It was fun, and we could visit each other, farms, gift and help them plow, etc. After several in our group passed away, we kept their farms going for awhile. But after the third person passed away, I stopped playing. But it did take a lot of time, but my mind was occupied. I am guessing it was similar to Hayday.

I played Words with friends for a while too. I am not currently playing any games. But I would not feel guilty if I was.

The stories and pics you share about Cullen and the boys’ big surprise show my face lights up, and happy tears fall. Your writing is so good; it’s like I am there looking in. I love the determination of Cullen, splints and all; he was playing his games, hehe.