• brittany-foster

December 22, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Hi Deborah,
    For really bad coughing spells, especially when I get short of breath, I have a rescue inhaler called xopenex. I also am prescribed codeine with robitussin cough syrup and I take that (usually at night because the codeine makes me sleepy). I know there are some people who take those tessalan perles medication which is supposed to help suppress the cough. Are you on oxygen? I also turn mine up as needed when this happens just to make sure I’m staying properly oxygenated. I recently got something called an afflovest that is really helping the amount of coughing I do and helps to get up the secretions so the cough doesn’t turn into bronchitis or pneumonia. For over the counter stuff, I would ask your doctor or pharmacist what you can take with the meds you are on, but usually robitussin over the counter works well too.

• janet-barry

December 25, 2018 at 11:17 am

I’m curious about “coughing”. Is it occasional; upon rising in the morning; wet or dry: only after speaking a lot?

• brittany-foster

December 28, 2018 at 3:50 pm

HI Janet,
      I guess this could depend a lot on the person. For me, it is usually dry but very bronchial and coming from my chest. Sounds like a barking type cough and once it starts it’s hard to get rid of. I’ve had other coughs that produce mucus (more so now with the afflovest I wear that helps get rid of the secretions and makes my cough more productive. How are your coughs usually? What patterns have you noticed with coughing?