Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2022 Day 11 of #30DaysofPH: My Sister, Katy, Lives in My Heart, and the Stars

• Day 11 of #30DaysofPH: My Sister, Katy, Lives in My Heart, and the Stars

Posted by Jessie Madrigal Fletcher on November 14, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Emily Doak writes about her sister Katy Doak, who was diagnosed with PH at age 4. After years of IV treatment, she received a double-lung transplant when she was 14.

As they both grew older and Katy got sicker, Emily began to understand the weight of her sister’s illness. In her heart, she suspected her time with Katy was limited. Now, there isn’t a day that goes by when Emily won’t think of her. Katy has been a huge role model to her and will continue to be so.

“She’ll live forever in our hearts, and in the stars.”

Emily, thank you for sharing your sister with us.

Now back to our PH Community: Are you grieving someone? How do you manage grief?

To read the rest of Emily’s story and learn more about her sister Katy, click here.

Our #30DaysOfPH initiative is running for the entire month of November. Each day, we are featuring a different story, and a different view of life with PH. To read all of the stories, visit our website.

Colleen replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

November 15, 2022 at 4:01 pm

Thank you, Emily, for your heartfelt tribute honoring your sister, Katy. I cannot begin to imagine the heartache you continue to struggle with.

Unfortunately, survivor’s guilt is a reality for many of us in the PH community. I know the family members left behind are more prone to this. I wish I could hug you tight and remind you that Katy wants you to live your best life.

As a PH patient, I am genuinely touched by your love ad support for Katy. How fortunate she must have been to have you as her little sister.

Grif can be a monster.

• Colleen

November 17, 2022 at 12:46 pm

Emily’s sister Katy was one of Cullen’s best PHriends. We lived in the same studio apartment complex for 4 months while Cullen was recovering from transplant and Katy from Cancer. They had been friends for years prior to that but those 4 months definitely brought them even closer.

I became close to her mom, and Aidan and Emily became close as PH siblings. Emily remains and amazing sister to Katy by keeping her memory alive and living life to the fullest the way Katy would want her to. It has truly been an honor to be PHriends with this family.