Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2021 Day 13 of 30 Days of PH: Don’t Procrastinate in Seeing a Doctor

• Day 13 of 30 Days of PH: Don’t Procrastinate in Seeing a Doctor

Posted by Jessie Madrigal Fletcher on November 15, 2021 at 5:21 pm

This is Susi Steppins’ story. Susi knew something was wrong way before she received her diagnosis. In fact, for years she felt something was off. She had trouble catching her breath, and was exhausted all the time. Her heart would beat hard and/or “funny.”

Then the pandemic began, and the hospitals were reporting their beds were full. So Susi “procrastinated”, until she couldn’t. She ended up spending a week in the hospital, one of the days in ICU, while the doctors figured it out. She was diagnosed with PH in June 2020. It turned out she had an unknown, severe case of sleep apnea, which had deprived her body of oxygen for so long that it damaged some of her organs, and caused her PH.

She is now oxygen 24/7 and takes many pills each day. But the good news is that the treatment she’s on, is working really well. Susi feels the support of others and the community behind the Pulmonary Hypertension News website. She knows she will fight the fight for a long time.

Susi, may your health continue to improve!

Now back to our PH Community. Did you “procrastinate” with your diagnosis? Did you suspect something was “off” way before doctors noticed?

Susi’s story is on our Instagram! Go check it out and do give us a follow so you don’t miss out on any #30DaysofPH stories. These stories are giving us “all of the feels”. Personally, Susi’s account has reinforced my belief that listening to our bodies is super important.

Colleen replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

November 16, 2021 at 11:05 am

Oh, @s-steppins, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story. What an important topic to share with the PH community. Not procrastinating and seeking help when we notice things are off can be difficult, especially during a pandemic. This had to make things that much more difficult.

You’re a true warrior! I am grateful that you sought help when you did and can share your story with us today. These improvements only help us to PHIght harder.

Like you, I, too, held off a bit when I first started noticing changes. I thought I had gained extra weight during the holidays. But as a nurse, I knew the irregular heartbeats, swelling, and SOB were not from a few extra indulges during the holidays.

You will continue to PHight this PHight, and we will be right beside you, my PHriend. I have enjoyed learning moring about you in the PH News forums.

• Colleen

November 16, 2021 at 6:11 pm

@s-steppins when the pandemic began I remember @jenc and I expressing sympathy to patients in the process of being diagnosed with PH at that time. That is such a hard thing to go through to begin with but adding the challenges that Covid brought to the world…I can’t imagine!

Thank you so much for sharing your story! Reading about how well treatments are going for you I’m sure has given many patients hope.