Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2022 Day 24 of #30DaysofPH: Giving Back to the PH Community

• Day 24 of #30DaysofPH: Giving Back to the PH Community

Posted by marco-jimenez on November 28, 2022 at 10:00 am

“Family, friendships, and hope are how we get through the tough times.” As a mother to a son with PH, Mandy Gayken is now giving back to the community. 

To read the rest of Mandy’s story and learn more about the journey of her son Evan, click here

Our #30DaysOfPH initiative is running for the entire month of November. Each day, we feature a different story and a different view of life with PH. To read all of the stories, visit our website.

Colleen replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

November 28, 2022 at 1:36 pm

What a caring mindset Mandy has by wanting to give back to the PH community. It’s no secret that we are dealt challenging hands in the PH community. But I have found that making all of the connections with PHamily everywhere helps me as I get through each of the stages. Like Mandy, PHA was my first and only resource when I found them not long after my PH diagnosis. I’m hopeful that many will also add PH News to their list of helpful sites.

What a lovely family picture. The smiles shine through! Thanks for sharing, Mandy ( @lilac-pixie-dust?)

• Colleen

November 28, 2022 at 9:12 pm

My favorite part of Mandy’s story is that she shared the things in her life that if not for PH, she might not have grown to fully appreciate in her life. I’ve felt that way about certain things too. It’s difficult to credit PH for anything but I do believe some good can be gained from even the most horrible experiences in life.

“I don’t know what life would be like If we’d never heard about PH. Would we appreciate and value the time we get to spend together as a family as much as we do now?

We certainly wouldn’t have had a deep understanding of what it means to have to fight to survive. We wouldn’t have met other great people in the same rocky boat as we are, who continue to help us along this journey. Family, friendships, and hope are how we get through the tough times.”