• Difficulty with getting blood work?

Posted by brittany-foster on March 18, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Recently, one of our members has been inquiring about having difficulty with getting their blood drawn while on Adempas medication. I am not on this medication, but I ALWAYS have difficulty with being a “hard stick” especially when they are trying to put in an IV. When I get blood-work done, the problem is that usually they think they have found a good vein but then it rolls or doesn’t give enough blood for what they need.

When they are having difficulty, I usually will ask for an ultrasound or the “vein finder” machine to be used which is a pretty good tool where the veins sort of light up under a special light that they use. I also advocate for a butterfly needle. If I am getting and IV 9 times out of 10 the ultrasound needs to be used so I just tell them this beforehand so I don’t feel like a pin cushion. Heat packs and letting my arm dangle over the side of the bed helps too!

Are you a difficult blood draw? Do they have a hard time with your veins because of medications or just difficulty in general? What tips do you have for helping them get a vein on the first try (or second)?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • joanne-sperando

March 19, 2019 at 10:59 am

Make sure you’re hydrated before any blood test. That can make for a more difficult stick.

• brittany-foster

March 19, 2019 at 11:04 am

YES!!! So true ! How could I forget about that one !? hydration definitely helps to plump up those veins. The nurses that try to get my IV always feel bad for hitting my arm to get the vein to come to the surface and I’m always like “I don’t care, punch my arm if you need to ! Whatever works just DO IT !” LOL they get a kick out of it but I’m like “I’m NOT KIDDING !” hahaha 🙂

• christopher-cassata-bobby-shows

March 19, 2019 at 12:02 pm

I am on Admepas, but I have very large clear veins and never have issues giving blood. I see a blood Dr. and also my regular Dr. takes blood. I must be very blessed to have such large easy to find veins.

• brittany-foster

March 19, 2019 at 12:17 pm

I must say, I ENVY your veins !!! LOL! I always can spot people with good veins and I’m like “they are the good sticks !” I can spot good veins from a mile away and I’m not even in the medical profession lol it’s all the experience in and out of doctors and hospitals 🙂 I’ll let you know if I ever choose a career in the medical field with all my knowledge I could give LOL! sad but true !