Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Do You Have Any Favorite Plant Based Recipes? Have You Tried Going Plant Based?

• Do You Have Any Favorite Plant Based Recipes? Have You Tried Going Plant Based?

Posted by brittany-foster on September 28, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Since my surgery, I have been trying to focus on ways I can help my body as much as possible. I have lost some weight while being in the hospital and want to start incorporating foods that will give me the most nutrients. I came across “plant based eating” which , according to healthline.com “the basic principles of a whole-foods, plant-based diet are as follows:
    Emphasizes whole, minimally processed foods.
    Limits or avoids animal products.
    Focuses on plants, including vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, seeds and nuts, which should make up the majority of what you eat.
    Excludes refined foods, like added sugars, white flour and processed oils.”

I guess I am going to try to do a variation of this because I don’t want to be too strict with what I “allow” myself to eat. I will still eat some chicken and fish, but definitely will try to always have a variety of vegetables with my meals. Making healthy foods gives me something positive to look forward to and I love trying out new things.

Here is the link: https://www.isabeleats.com/sweet-potato-black-bean-burger/

Have you tried plant based meals? What are some of your favorite recipes?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 32 Replies
  • 32 Replies
  • jessica-kiser

October 1, 2018 at 9:27 pm

I recently went plant based, and while I allow myself to eat seafood and dairy very rarely, I’ve found I feel best when not eating them. Veggie stew is currently my obsession, and I modified my (work office award winning lol) chili to be plant based.

• brittany-foster

October 2, 2018 at 8:35 am

Jessica,
      That sounds amazing ! My boyfriend and I like to make stews and soups together on his day off so if you have a good recipe and are willing to send it my way please do! 🙂 I’ll probably end up having to cook up some meat to put on the side for him hahaha but I’d love to hear about any recipes that have turned out well for you!

• jen-cueva

October 2, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Brittany,
    Great topic !
    As I mentioned in another thread, my Daughter is a Registered Dietitian, she recently started a more plant based diet although she eats fish and chicken ( once a week ) she has made some interesting dishes, I’ll see if any is her faves and maybe post it here .

I love veggies, although I try and stay away from too many processed foods, I’m not too strict. I do love veggies and soups and stews I love. I have an Instant pot and often toast lots of fresh veggies, homemade broth and spices and I have a great meal fast, lots too, lol
    Sometimes I’ll add a little chicken breast , too.
    Now sadly, my sugar, I cannot kick but it’s ok, my sugar runs on the low side, lol

• brittany-foster

October 2, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Jen,
      thank you for all your contributions ! I love hearing from you and getting a glimpse into your life and how you are managing with your PH. I can’t stay away from chicken and fish completely so I guess I am doing “plant based” part of the time or for some meals. My dinners lately I have been trying to keep strictly plant based and am keeping track of how I’m feeling the next morning. Hoping to see some improvements with my energy levels ! My sleeping has been a lot better recently and I’ve been getting over 8 hours of sleep a night and not waking up as often in between! So I’ll take that as a victory. I would love to hear any recipes you have or any recipes your daughter may have. Thanks again for you responses !

• jen-cueva

October 2, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Hey Brittany,
    You sound like me, I do pretty good during the week with dinners being more healthy, but the weekend comes and I’m all over the place it seems. Or, on really bad days I don’t eat much at all.

I really need to come on more as well as FB, I miss so much and tops from y’all and sharing. It’s awesome and I’ve really missed that.

Wow, 8 hours of sleep without waking is definitely a victory!

As far as recipes, I usually like to experiment with foods and make and adjust other recipes to my preferences. What are some of your favorite foods . This time of year I like soups and things. I also like apples with a little nut butter or caramel drizzle . I also love roasted veggies, I tend to make sheet pan dinners often with maybe chicken and veggies or I can eat just veggies. I’ve done shrimp and fish too but always different sheet pans for different times to cook. Super easy and seasoning to your liking.

• brittany-foster

October 3, 2018 at 7:07 am

The sleep thing has definitely been helpful! I’m also wearing my bipap more during the daytime so doctors can track how many episodes of apnea I’m having during the day. I have a condition where I don’t breathe as much as I should due to central causes. It’s called central hypoventilation. Times when I’m not on the bipap I use oxygen to at least keep my levels okay.

But anyways (sorry for the rant lol) . I love soup recipes. My boyfriend and I have made a couple of stews or soups together. One of my favorites was a beef stew (I don’t eat the beef in it but it had a lot of vegetables I love like onions, carrots, and sweet potatoes. I have been doing more sheet pan dinners. Some days I don’t have the energy to cut all the veggies up and make completely from scratch so I buy the frozen bags of vegetables to bake from a whole foods place like Trader Joes. It cuts the prep time down and helps me save my energy but it’s still delicious. Baked spaghetti squash is one of my favorite alternatives to actual pasta. I can put pretty much anything on top of it. I can go Mexican style and add salsa, avocado, black beans, or make my own alfredo (trying to do vegan style made with cashews as the base of the cream sauce) and do a version of chicken “alfredo” spaghetti squash.After baking the spaghetti squash I use a fork to get out the insides and it comes out like spaghetti consistency.

• jen-cueva

October 3, 2018 at 4:19 pm

Hi Brittany,
    No worries, I tend to rant at times as well, we need that , lol

Great ideas and thanks for the reminder as I’ve been wanting to try spaghetti squash for several years, I still have not yet, so I want to get one soon and try it. I also love the veggies from roast or stews, I make in my Instant Pot and rarely eat the beef. I also, like a vegetable beef soup, my Mom always made when I was growing up. It’s just lean beef or stew meat with whatever veggies you have and tomatoes, garlic, onion, etc. I like tomatoes, potatoes, bell pepper, carrots, corn in mine, just a little different than stew or roast and veggies.

Ohh I so love Trader Joe’s and they have some fire roasted veggies that are frozen ,multicolored cauliflower ,and rainbow carrots I like those all and they are shortcuts to help us… all are frozen. Sadly, I don’t have one closer to me, but when we are downtown Houston my Hubby or Daughter will take me.

You mention using cashews, do you drink nut milks too ? My Daughter recently made some nut milk and it was super easy and I was surprised it’s just pretty much the nuts and water , she said she used Brazil Nuts , but I know you can do almond or whatever you prefer.

• brittany-foster

October 3, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Jen,
      the stews you are telling me about sound amazing !! (as I’m sitting here waiting for my delivery of food after a long day of driving to appointments) Just don’t have the energy some days to make things for myself, even if it’s just throwing something in an oven ! Even that seems like too much on days like today. So, take out it is !

And I have had cashew milk before, I never made it myself. I know that it is the base of a lot of the sauces that are used in vegan recipes as a substitute for alfredo sauce. From what I’ve heard, it comes out pretty good. I’ll have to try for myself and let you know how it is and if I find a good recipe for it. I drink almond milk and have been drinking almond milk for awhile. I used it in my recipe that I made this morning for breakfast. It was a “healthy pancake” using 1/2 cup quick oats, 1/2 banana, and 1/2 cup almond milk blended together and poured onto a pan to make pancakes! I used organic frozen berries warmed up for the toppings. It was so yummy ! Give it a try if you have a blender. It took no time at all!

• jen-cueva

October 9, 2018 at 5:06 pm

Brittany,
    Yes, just made a veggie soup yesterday and thought of you, I’ve had it for lunch for the last 2 days, lol

Ohh definitely understand, some days my DoorDash is my go to, especially after busy days and appts. Hope you’re continuing to get stronger and less pain since surgery.

I’ve nade a similar pancake and think I used an egg instead of milk, but I may be mistaken. I love fresh berries on my pancakes and whole grain waffles, never even thought of heating up the frozen organic ones. Thanks for the tip!

Can you send me your email as my Daughter is working on her website and I would like to send you the info or give yours to her. Your can post to here or email, [email protected] .

• brittany-foster

October 9, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Hi Jen,
      that would be great ! Does she post some tips and recipes on there too? I love a good vegetable soup. The best part about soup is that the leftovers always seem to taste just as good ! Unlike a lot of other food that has to get heated back up! Sometimes it even tastes BETTER the second day 🙂

• jen-cueva

October 10, 2018 at 11:29 am

Yes, Brittany,
    The veggie soup was my breakfast this morning, lol

And she is just starting on her website but yes, she’ll offer tips, recipes, etc as well . I’ll email you.

Have a great day 🙂

• brittany-foster

October 10, 2018 at 11:39 am

Thank you so much Jen,
      That would be awesome ! 🙂

• azebraman

October 13, 2018 at 12:30 am

Those of us with PH often struggle to maintain healthy weight (for some it’s always too high, and others too low), so I think the best diet is one that helps maintain a proper weight.

I think a big pro of plant-based is that it’s environmentally friendly. Cows generate a lot more greenhouse gas than say… lettuce.

I haven’t tried going plant-based because that would turn my diet into one of mostly starch and sugar (carbohydrate) calories, which would be a bad idea for me personally because I’m glucose intolerant and would end up obese if I tried it. But, this kind of diet I bet will work for those who can tolerate carbs but not fat.

• brittany-foster

October 13, 2018 at 9:21 pm

VK,
      What you’re saying is SO important especially about what to eat to maintain a healthy weight or where a healthy set weight is. My “healthy weight” is usually about 10 lbs more than I am now. I find that so difficult to gain especially with sickness, Surgeries, and even when I have extra stress I don’t eat as much as I should. That’s why I try and be conscious of making sure I’m at least getting the proper nutrient dense foods into my system when I am able to eat as often as I should.

• jen-cueva

October 14, 2018 at 10:13 am

VK,
    So true! As with PH meds ang and treatments, the diets we follow will be different. I think fir myself, I try and eat more Whole Foods ( real food) vs lots of processed foods. Although, some days, take out and delivery is the best option.

I am not all plant based, I love veggies, but we mainly eat chicken and seafood. We will have red meat occasionally.

Yesterday I made avocado toast for breakfast and it was amazing!
    I couldn’t figure out how to post the pics, sorry, lol

• brittany-foster

October 14, 2018 at 10:31 am

I definitely can’t go totally plant based either because I love chicken too much hahahaha! I try to stick to the organic chicken from whole foods when I do eat it. Veggies are a huge part of my diet too. Avocado toast is always super easy and quick to make for breakfast and yummy too (some people don’t like the consistency of avocado) I have even made guacamole and put that on toast or an enlgish muffin in the morning ! So good!

• jen-cueva

October 14, 2018 at 10:57 am

Lol, I’m with you on chicken, I could could out red meat , but love chicken, too.

I love guacamole and avocado, my hubby never tried it , so yesterday I used Dave’s Killer Seeded and Sprouted bread, the thin one , toasted that, mashed avocado, topped with thinly sliced tomato, sunflower sprouts, and a few sprinkles of Queso Fresco cheese. I topped his with a cage free brown egg I cooked. ( I’m not an egg fan) it was yummy , and he really liked it too.

• brittany-foster

October 15, 2018 at 8:08 am

That toast recipe sounds so awesome ! I have to give that combo a try. My boyfriend and I usually make egg sandwiches with avocado and tomato on it so the toast option is a nice change up!

• jen-cueva

November 16, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Brittany,
    This morning I had a protein pancake and heated the frozen organic mixed berries to top it, it was great !

Thanks 🤗

• brittany-foster

November 16, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Hi Jen!
      Glad you tried it ! I loved the frozen berries as a topping ! I admit that I put some syrup on mine when I make them! Can’t escape the sugar sometimes hahahaha!

• jen-cueva

November 16, 2018 at 10:03 pm

lol Brittany, I didn’t use syrup but my hubby did use a little on his, lol 😂

But I ate a part of a Twix this afternoon, so I definitely can’t escape the sugar totally lol

• debra-eileen-williams

November 20, 2018 at 3:19 pm

I tried going vegetarian many years ago and quickly found that a plant based diet is NOT good for me. I got extremely anemic, since my body would not utilize iron from plant sources. Iron tablets only upset my stomach and did little to improve my anemia. It came down to either get IV iron on a regular basis or go back to eating meat, especially red meat. So I ate meat. I was also low on other meat based nutrients, as I simply do not absorb nutrients well from plants. Over the years I developed problems with other plant products. Cruciferous vegetables bothered my thyroid. Grains made me break out in a rash. Nightshade vegetables started causing other problems. Gradually I got rid of most plant products in my diet and now eat a mostly carnivorous diet. That has helped me a lot. I’ve lost weight and gotten stronger. My ability to walk distance improved and my need for oxygen has decreased.
    People are different, and a plant based diet does not help everyone.

• brittany-foster

November 20, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Very true Debra
      I don’t like the idea of people claiming that plant Based vegan meals are a cure all when there’s many reasons why that may not be the best option for some of us! All of our bodies are so different . Its up to us to listen to them and give it what it needs. I try to eat a combo of foods and nutrition in moderation. I still allow myself the cherseburger and fries. But listen to my body cues .

• jen-cueva

November 20, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Debra,
    You’re exactly correct as we are all different and each of our bodies react and need different nutrients. I definitely love veggies but I cannot go all plant based as well. I try to do more Whole Foods but like Brittany, I will ea5 pizza and a cheeseburger if I’m craving it. When my craving something, often my body is low in that area , I’ve found.

It sounds like you’ve had lots of adjustments in your diet and have quite a list to avoid.

My Daughter is a Registered Dietitian and she’s very aware that all bodies are not going to follow one type of diet, wha5 works for one, definitely may not work for another. She a,so reminds me to feed my body’s cravings as I thought I was just bring a “ fatty “ lol

• brittany-foster

November 21, 2018 at 1:40 pm

My dietitian always encouraged me to listen to my cravings too! It keeps the body from wanting to “binge” eat and make up for it when you’ve ignored a hunger cue too.

• kathleen-sheffer

November 21, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Love this recommendation! Unfortunately my cravings can get really out of control on prednisone and I have trouble not eating entire bars of chocolate! Wish it were healthy for me to listen to all my cravings…

• jen-cueva

November 21, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Yes, Brittany, and I try to do that when my cravings kick in. More often than that, I have no cravings and a poor appetite, too. Do you find this to be true for you as well , or was it just more post surgery ?

• brittany-foster

November 21, 2018 at 3:53 pm

If I listened to all my cravings I would be way overweight lol! I guess paying attention to the appropriate cravings would be something to work on or picking cravings that fit in with some nutritional value ! I tend to have a poor appetite and have been losing weight. It has been getting worse lately and come to find out I have cdiff infection again !!! I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemies

• jen-cueva

November 21, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Haha @kathleen-sheffer, definitely have to control the cravings , I’m sure that Prednisone definitely makes you hungry and hard to control those cravings …

@brittany-foster so sorry to hear about the cdiff…hope and pray you don’t get dehydrated and can’t get rid of it soon, you definitely don’t need to lose weight and that’s the worst way, for sure. Sending you positive vibes hat you’ll be able to get some nutrients in…

• brittany-foster

November 21, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Jen,
      It’s honestly one of the most uncomfortable feelings and pain I’ve ever experienced and I’ve experienced a lot!

• jen-cueva

November 21, 2018 at 5:51 pm

Ohh Brittany,
    I’m so sorry…this is not comfortable at all and hope you can get relief soon. Hugs and prayers…

• brittany-foster

November 21, 2018 at 10:59 pm

Thank you so much! I will have a meal of cool whip and bites of pie tomorrow if I can even keep it down. I’d be interested to see what my digestive tract allows me to keep in there lol! Will keep you posted