• Do You Have PH And Scalp Psoriasis?

Posted by Colleen on March 18, 2021 at 3:30 pm

I’m actually asking this question for myself. For those new to the forums, I am caregiver to my son. I don’t have PH but apparently I might have scalp psoriasis.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this considering many of you are living with coexisting conditions.

For years I have struggled with dry, scabby patches on my scalp and was too embarrassed to discuss it with a doctor because I thought it was caused by nerves. When I’m stressed I tend to scratch more at my scalp. But today I met with my rheumatologist and he noticed bad patches near my ears. He actually seemed concerned and asked me to take my hair out of the pony tail so he could look at my entire scalp. I’m wondering if he is thinking I have psoriatic arthritis instead of rheumatoid…or can you have both? Anyone know? My lab work shows high levels of inflammation. He also kept feeling around my lymph nodes but didn’t say anything.

My next step is to make an appointment with a dermatologist.

I’m also sharing this to encourage everyone to discuss ALL symptoms with your doctor. Don’t assume like I did that you know the cause; that it’s nothing or too embarrassing to discuss. What I thought was nothing is actually something.

Colleen replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

March 19, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Thank you for sharing, @colleensteele. I agree; usually, if we have one big issue, like PH, RA, etc., we tend to think other things are nothing to be concerned about. I don’t know if it is related to embarrassments, like you, or other reasons. I applaud you that you opened up and shared so this would help others.

Often, because of PH and my other health issues, I tend to “downplay” things that are “nothing.” As the old saying goes, I got bigger fish to fry”. I forgot today was Fish Friday for many observing Lent.

I was unsure if you could have both RA and scalp psoriasis, so I looked it up. I found that yes, you can have both, but it is rare; I have attached a little more about the two.

• Colleen

March 19, 2021 at 2:20 pm

Thanks, @jenc. I really thought my scalp issue was due to bad nerves. It never occurred to me that there was an underlying condition causing it.