Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions Does Your or Your Loved One’s Health Influence Your Vote?

• Does Your or Your Loved One’s Health Influence Your Vote?

Posted by jen-cueva on August 25, 2020 at 2:31 pm

I read this yesterday and thought about it for some time. Do you feel that your health or the health of a loved one has influenced your political beliefs? I do think that my health and needs influence my political decisions in some aspects. Limiting news is something that I tend to do, except when it involves healthcare. I try to read and educate myself on these policies.

Without starting a heated debate or increase party warfare, let’s respectfully discuss how healthcare concerns and social hardships have potentially influenced your voting over the years. Perhaps they have not. Maybe it was your family and what you grew up with? Or maybe you avoid politics altogether?

Does your or a loved one’s health influence your vote? Let’s talk about is.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • Colleen

August 25, 2020 at 2:45 pm

Interesting and brave choice of topic @jenc. I would say yes, my family does pay close attention to what each party is offering to bring to the medical table. It’s so complicated though, isn’t it? Each side has very different perspectives and I know PHers and transplant recipients who are very committed to one or the other, myself included. There are other topics that we focus on but healthcare is at the top. We can’t help but worry about Cullen and how the future of healthcare will effect him.

• renee-kimberling

August 25, 2020 at 10:41 pm

Yes, my health does play a role in my voting decisions. As a retired nurse I have seen all types of healthcare, and I am convinced that these decisions should be between patient and physician without administrators influence. In that regard I always vote for individual choice.

• jen-cueva

August 26, 2020 at 1:02 pm

Hi @colleensteele, yes, the conventions and time before voting is so confusing. We do mostly look at the healthcare policies but other policies, too. Healthcare, for me, is what I read most about. Either way, I do not fill my mind up with the news nonstop. I found that in the past elections, looking over each candidate’s sites and reading their policies on healthcare and anything else that is important to me.

At this point, in our country, I would love to have peace and kindness, along with knowing that my healthcare is taken seriously.

• jen-cueva

August 26, 2020 at 1:05 pm

Hi @renee, like you, I worked in nursing before my PH diagnosis. This is probably why healthcare policies are the first thing that I tend to look at. Do you have any tips for our members when they are not sure what to look for or how to stay updated on healthcare issues?

Here in Texas, I receive emails from our reps, and that often will have any new policies, etc.

• denise-k-thompson

August 26, 2020 at 1:59 pm

There is only one party with a healthcare plan, easy choice. If it hadn’t been for the affordable care act, I wouldn’t have had insurance til I turned 65, which put me into the preconditions catagory. I will stand behind the plan that was designed to give more people healthcare.

• Colleen

August 26, 2020 at 4:42 pm

@jenc I limit my news in-take because it can become so all consuming and depressing. I want to be well-informed though so like you, I find other methods to stay on top of political issues and choices. It sounds cliche’ but the best we can do is to show the kindness we would like to see in others. You are a perfect example of that Jen. I always feel at peace just talking to you my friend.

• renee-kimberling

August 27, 2020 at 12:10 am

Jen,
    I recommend that they look at the party platforms. If they want more detail they can ask questions on policy platform issues. The biggest differences I see is the democratic platform calls for socialized medicine, aka “medicare for all” and the Republicans support individual responsibility and choice of healthcare, while still maintaining medicare and medicaid for those who need it. Neither party wants to have anyone left out. Just 2 different ways of doing it. Hope this helps!

• jen-cueva

August 27, 2020 at 1:30 pm

Hi @dinky1952, yes, the issue with preconditions certainly impacts my decisions, too. It is difficult when we must fight for our healthcare. It sounds like you are educated to vote and consider your health when you vote.

Healthcare costs are so high already. I am not sure how we can afford much higher prices. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on such an important and timely topic.

• denise-k-thompson

August 27, 2020 at 1:46 pm

Healthcare in America is always between you and your physician.

• jen-cueva

August 27, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Thanks, @colleensteele, but when I think of kindness, I think of you. You are always so supportive and show kindness to myself and others. I agree, reading the information versus watching the nonstop news and becoming more confused is what works for me. But, my health is something that I do think plays a huge role in my decisions.

@renee, thanks for sharing. Yes, reading the platforms and specific policies can help us to make better decisions when it comes to election day. Will you be doing a mail-in ballot?

• carol-volckmann

August 27, 2020 at 3:46 pm

Jen, once again you are one very brave soul. I think it is safe to say everyone can agree that who or which party they vote for is influenced by their or their or their love ones health care. Certainly for me pre-existing conditions and lifetime limits is paramount. I think of Cullen just out of the hospital and how important it is to his family knowing there are no longer limits nor being turned down insurance because of pre-existing conditions. I myself would be dead right now- how many of us could say the same thing. Yes, do the research and please vote.

• jen-cueva

August 28, 2020 at 11:31 am

Thanks, @cdvol3gmail-com, I do think we can approach this topic in a positive light. AS you mention, we all want to protect ourselves and our families. Yes, I also believe that preexisting conditions is a crucial topic for all of us. You mention another topic, limits. I know that after 15 years with PH and other health issues, I watch this one, too. I would not be here today if this were the policy years ago.

As we all know, medical costs add us fast! Thanks for reminding us all to get out and vote. This is the top priority.

Have you voted by mail before? Will you this year? I have always walked in to vote in the past.

• carol-volckmann

August 28, 2020 at 12:02 pm

You are so right Jen – it was not that long ago where insurance companies put life time cost limits on health insurance. The most you could get was one million over your life time. Certainly most of us have gone way beyond that!

In the state of Washington all ballots are mail in. Living in many other states I would go to polling stations to vote. This year when we get our ballots we will wear our masks and face shields and drop off our ballots at the voter registration office!
    XX00

• Colleen

August 28, 2020 at 2:02 pm

We will be doing the same @cdvol3gmail-com, dropping the ballots off at the registration office. I really am not keen on the idea of mailing them in.

• denise-k-thompson

August 28, 2020 at 6:00 pm

In Ore, we too are a universal mail in state that has never had the fraud. We have a drop off box outside the courthouse in my small city that you can drive right up to. Again, only one party has a plan, the other doesn’t even have platform.

• jen-cueva

August 31, 2020 at 9:21 am

Thanks, @cdvol3gmail-com and @colleensteele, for sharing your experience in Washington. I have never mailed in my ballot, so this will be interesting for me.

@dinky1952, thanks for sharing your experience in Oregon and your thoughts on mail-in voting. I like the fact that there is a drive-by drop off. I better start checking where my closest drop off box is, etc. Denise, how are you with the fires? Is this in your area?

• denise-k-thompson

August 31, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Jen Cueva, thanks for your concern re: fires. Ore does have wildfires, we are spared in my area, west of Portland/Salem, but thank God not widespread like Calif. My son in Cupertino, (just south of big Northern Ca fires), & sis in Brentwood, Ca are struggling with air quality & visible ash, also Sacramento where brother & many friends recide. Could all use rain without lightening. Rolling blackouts are miserable in hot temperatures.

• jen-cueva

September 1, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Wow, @dinky1952, I am grateful that you are spared. I am sorry to hear of your many family members in CA. I also have many friends in SoCal and NorCal; they really do need rain and prayers. Please keep us updated on them. That must be difficult for you knowing that they are all there-hugs and prayers from Texas.

• ann-goddeyne

September 1, 2020 at 5:06 pm

I say don’t look at the platform look at their actions. One party is working to end the Affordable Care Act. If it wasn’t for the insurance I got under the ACA I couldn’t have afforded the tests to get diagnosed or the medicines I needed. It saved my life.

Actions speak louder than words. I can’t support the Republican Party

• jen-cueva

September 2, 2020 at 10:25 am

I agree with you on that, @ann-goddeyne! Actions speak louder than words is something that I always say.

Stay safe and be sure to get your vote in.

• jen-cueva

November 5, 2020 at 4:59 pm

I was just checking in to be sure that everyone voted. This was undoubtedly an important year to have your voices heard. I voted during early voting here in Texas. What about you?