Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Have You Discussed MSG With Your Doctor or Dietician?

Tagged: , ,

• Have You Discussed MSG With Your Doctor or Dietician?

Posted by Colleen on October 8, 2020 at 7:06 pm

My son has struggled with adverse reactions when his sodium consumption gets too high. My husband has been reading up on MSG and its use as a low sodium flavor enhancer. It has considerably less sodium than normal table salt, and it greatly enhances the umami flavor of any dish. Despite early reports of it being unsafe and unhealthy, more recent studies seem to say just the opposite.

We won’t be cooking with it until we discuss MSG with a few of Cullen’s doctors. Have any of you discussed MSG with your Doctor and/or Dietician?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

October 9, 2020 at 2:32 pm

Thanks for sharing this, @colleensteele. I have not discussed MSG, but I know that I retain more fluid after eating Chinese food or anything else with MSG.

I only use sea salt when I do use it. Most often, I try to use other fresh herbs and spices for popping flavors.

Coconut aminos is something that I have used for soy sauce that offers something for stir fry and other dishes where I may need a few fashes of soy sauce. I also have used Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce. I prefer low sodium Kikkoman best. My daughter, the dietician, suggested the coconut aminos.

I hope that y’all find the best product for Cullen. Is he drinking his water?

• Colleen

October 9, 2020 at 3:57 pm

Thanks for your input @jenc. This is a topic Brian has wanted me to post. I’ll share your response with him. You offered some great options.

• jen-cueva

October 12, 2020 at 8:49 am

Yes, always happy to help. Let us know what Brian decides to try and how that works for y’all.