Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Have You Ever Compared PH To It’s Periwinkle Awareness Ribbon?

• jen-cueva

March 3, 2022 at 1:40 pm

Excellent column, @colleensteele! Did you also know that periwinkle is now a top trend in Spring colors for 2022? I saw this in a magazine article recently. Immediately, I thought of how special this is how we may now see more clothing and other things in this specific color, maybe a spring nail polish, perhaps?

I know in November, I’ve looked hard to try and locate the closest purplish share to periwinkle that I can wear for PH Awareness. I have corrected some who say our awareness ribbon is purple in the past. There are so many shades of purple, and periwinkle doesn’t fall in that category for me.

Your comparisons are excellent. I have heard of that flower but never about the death part. I always appreciate you diving deeper into research for columns and posts to share with us all. Your perspectives often cause me to think about specific topics in a different light- thank you.

• Colleen

March 4, 2022 at 12:12 am

@jenc I did read somewhere that periwinkle is a top trend right now. I can’t remember where I read it…maybe we read the same article.

Due to a lack of periwinkle I have gone with purple many times. It’s one of the things that inspired me to write this column.

• jen-cueva

March 4, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Yes, excellent topic, as I said, you think of such interesting topics. Your columns always teach me something or leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. At times, it’s both. You’re an inspiring writer.

• v-r-peterson

March 3, 2022 at 2:51 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the article, @colleensteele. I thought I knew all about the periwinkle ribbon and the reason for the color, but I learned quite a bit. Especially the periwinkle/green ribbon. The article was fascinating.

• Colleen

March 4, 2022 at 12:21 am

@mamabear007 your reaction to the column has made my day! Thank you for letting me know how much you enjoyed it. I spent a lot of time researching the topic. It was surprising how much I had to dig to even find the history of where the PH ribbon had it’s start. I guess opinion has been that it’s a ribbon, what more is there to say about it?

• debbie-moore

March 4, 2022 at 4:29 pm

You can tell I’m a new kid on the block.  I didn’t even know we had a ribbon.  Thanks for all of the information.  I love the research you did to give more meaning to a ribbon.  Thanks!

• jen-cueva

March 7, 2022 at 9:36 am

Hi @debbie, don’t feel bad. After 17 years with PH, Colleen’s column taught me a little more about our periwinkle awareness ribbon. She did research this topic on many levels to bring us such great informative history on this ribbon.