Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms Have you ever experienced hearing loss because of medications?

• Have you ever experienced hearing loss because of medications?

Posted by brittany-foster on January 3, 2020 at 11:49 am

Recently one of our forum members asked this question to the group, “Did anyone have a problem with hearing loss taking Sidenafil ? I fear I might be experimenting some. It can be part of the side effects.”

Personally, I have been on medication that effects the blood vessels and helps to keep them dilated and open. This was a medication that they were trying for me to help me keep fluid in my blood vessels by expanding them. I eventually stopped the medication that I was prescribed because I had trouble hearing due to the dilation of blood vessels. It was as if I had ear muffs on and felt like I was under water. Sounds were very muffled and it was bothersome.

Anyone else have experience with hearing loss due to a medication side effect/ symptom? What did you do about it and did it improve? Share here!

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Colleen

January 3, 2020 at 6:59 pm

Interesting question because my son was on Sidenafil and often complained of hearing challenges and ear aches. We had his hearing checked and no problem was detected. I wonder if it was a the dilation of blood vessels, as you mentioned, that made things sound muffled to him.

He has always had ear problems though, even before his PH diagnosis. Post transplant he ended up having tubes placed and that helped him tremendously! He still occasionally gets outer ear infections which causes a muffled sound. I wonder if there are transplant meds now causing this.

• jen-cueva

January 4, 2020 at 9:32 pm

Great question, Brittany. I have been on Revatio at large does for almost 15 years. I am aware of that as a side effect and I have had issues with my hearing off and on. I feel like that I am not hearing well like my ears are “plugged”. I do not have it constantly. I wonder if maybe it is at certain times when my Revatio is at its peak levels.

@colleensteele, I had my hearing testing, too 4-6 years ago and was told no issues then. I still have this issue and almost daily but at different times, it is pretty strange and at times I think I am imagining the hearing issues and try to ignore it.

I would certainly tell anyone concerned about the hearing loss due to Revatio to have their hearing tested and mention this to their PH team. I probably need to have mine checked again before too long.