Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions Have you had improvements on exercise testing but not on lung functions?

• Have you had improvements on exercise testing but not on lung functions?

Posted by brittany-foster on January 30, 2020 at 1:20 pm

Today I had my doctor pretty stumped. At first they were thinking that my oxygen levels still could be going pretty low even with oxygen on because I am deconditioned with exercise after my surgery. They thought maybe getting into some type of cardiac rehab program would improve my exercise capacity like the amount of exercise I can do and the breaths I am taking in. But today, my exercise capacity has improved. I can attribute that to doing more workouts during the week when I can like walking my dog , trying to get 10,000 steps in a day if possible, and also doing some strengthening exercises like pilates.

I take good care of my health and therefore probably have better exercise capacity, but my lung function and oxygen levels STILL are dropping. Because of this they can’t blame the shortness of breath and low oxygen on the exercise tolerance or being deconditioned. I am scheduled for another heart cath in a few months to see what could be going on and hopefully get me on a better medication regimen. I am pushing my body all I can but it just is not seeing lung function improvements.

Did you have improvements in exercise testing or exercise capacity but remain the same or drop with your lung function? I have my team stumped!

sheriden replied 4 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • sheriden

January 31, 2020 at 1:22 am

Brittany, congratulations on your improvements!!!

I am so impressed you get yourself to walk 10,000 steps. I have my fitbit set at 7,000 steps and do not even come close. I do not feel like I have enough energy to do much walking, even though I really want to do so. Maybe it is my malnourishment? I am praying they can have some good treatments to offer after they get the information they need after my heart cath.