Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Have You Needed To Take Medications For Anxiety/Depression

• Have You Needed To Take Medications For Anxiety/Depression

Posted by brittany-foster on August 29, 2018 at 5:49 pm

I have always been open to talking about my struggles with anxiety/PTSD/depression, but never felt comfortable talking about medications that I have used to help me with this. This makes me wonder, why I put up a wall when it comes to taking medications for mental illness when I would gladly take medication for any other illness! I think part of it comes from the fact that I have tried a few anxiety medications in the past and didn’t have a good reaction to them. Whenever my doctor brought up medications for anxiety to me, I always brushed the offer away and tried to convince myself “I can handle it”.

With an upcoming surgery, I am experiencing an increase in anxiety because of that and PTSD thoughts around hospital trauma, surgical trauma, and bodily trauma. I realize that I do NOT have to “handle it” all. I deserve to give my mind a break as I wait for my surgery. I deserve to be in the calmest state possible so I can think positively and clearly. Today, I went to my doctor asking for help with my anxiety and she prescribed me a fast acting medication similar to Xanax that I could take the next few weeks as needed. After taking just one I already feel a weight lifted off my shoulders.

It makes me question, why am I always so resistant to medication that can help my brain while I am going through such difficulty physically? It is only normal for people to experience anxiety, sadness, worry, frustration, and a whole range of emotions before a life event like surgery. I need to give my mind a break.

Do you take medications for anxiety and depression? Are you on medication as needed or every day? Were you always open to taking medication for mental illness or did you have a wall put up like me? Medication is needed and medication for mental health is just as needed as medication for our physical health. We should start to break this stigma.

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.