Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Have you Tried the Keto Diet/ Other Diet Plans?

• Have you Tried the Keto Diet/ Other Diet Plans?

Posted by brittany-foster on July 19, 2019 at 8:18 am

Some doctors will advise against certain diet plans or meal plans, especially if they require elimination of certain foods. Before starting a diet plan, especially if you are living with a chronic illness, it is important to have a conversation with your medical team.

Recently, one of our members was curious if people have tried the “keto diet” . Here is a link to an article published by Harvard Medical that explains the keto plan and some of the risk factors involved. Diet plans and eliminating certain foods is not for everyone and is not always safe for everyone.

Have you tried a diet plan like Keto? Were you advised by your medical team to do this? Did you bring up a change in diet to your team? What plans have seemed to help you with losing or maintaining weight and a balanced lifestyle in the past

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Colleen

July 19, 2019 at 4:21 pm

As a caregiver and not a PH patient….I’m laughing because I’m actually about to start the Keto diet. A friend recently recommended it. I’m just really not sure whether this would be a good one for someone with PH. As you mentioned Brittany, discuss a diet with your doctor before starting one. That is very important.

• brittany-foster

July 22, 2019 at 9:50 am

Hey Colleen,
      I do know plenty of people who are on it or on a modified version of it that just isn’t as strict as “no carbs at all” and high fats. I feel like I would go WILD with the high fat content. I’d be spooning peanut butter onto literally anything. Probably just eating it right out of the jar hahah! I know that’s not exactly how it works, but still you can picture it for a good laugh. Let me know how it goes for you and what types of benefits you notice! I’m sure it takes weeks/months to really notice the benefits and changes that might happen! Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Are you doing it for health reasons?

• ally1567

July 20, 2019 at 10:47 am

Ok I will discuss it with my doctor’s. I have tried Keto tho and it works but you can’t go crazy with butter and sour cream like I did lmbo

• stefan-jones

July 20, 2019 at 11:30 am

If you don’t have a milk intolerance why not?

• stefan-jones

July 20, 2019 at 11:27 am

Hi Brittany, I have done a keto diet for a few years. In fact 80% of the time it’s zero carb, or carnivore as it is called online these days. I original did keto solely because I had pretty bad digestive issues, but zerocarbing was the only way I can get perfect digestion; likely due to a lack of fibre.

However, I would need to write an essay to explain all of the surprise health improvements that I also got. For example, energy levels, mental clarity and stability (despite not actually having any particular issues, mentally/emotionally, I still felt an improvement ), sleeping pattern, migraines/light sensitively, weight stability (I lose weight very easy) and more. Unfortunately, I couldn’t say it helped my PAH directly in any way, but certainly helped soften the burden.

The big one for me though was aches and pains. Whenever I needed extended periods of inactivity/rest I had to see a physio and force my self to walk and stretch due to getting pains/aches in the hips, shoulder blades and lower back. This year I’ve spent about two months+ in hospital, 3-4 weeks of which where on complete bedrest and I haven’t had a single issue. Which I won’t lie, even I was surprised; thought I’d be almost crying after a week.

• ally1567

July 21, 2019 at 10:43 am

I don’t need all the fat

• brittany-foster

July 22, 2019 at 9:52 am

Hey Stefan,
      Thank you for sharing all about your journey with this type of diet with us. it’s so interesting to hear from other people and get their perspective on how it has helped. Was this recommended to you by your doctor or was this something that you wanted to try? I find it so awesome that your memory and your energy levels even improved ! Personally, eating too many carbs in general just makes me feel so tired and worn down. I could see how cutting back on that would be beneficial, especially if the body has to work too hard to break it down like if people have things like a gluten intolerance. My friend was gluten free because of celiac and just that shift away from whole grains and certain carbs really made a huge difference. It’s harder to stick to when going out to eat. How do you accomodate for when you go out to eat?

• Colleen

July 22, 2019 at 11:51 am

Stefan, I’ve heard a lot of good things about this diet, many that you have mentioned. I’m guilty of putting off starting it though. My friend keeps nudging me to give it a try. Brittany, I need to lose some weight and am just trying in general to take better care of myself.

• brittany-foster

July 22, 2019 at 12:14 pm

I’d love to hear about what you think of it and how it is helping you. From Stefan’s comment, it seems like some people could really get benefits from this ! Worth a shot for sure ! And if it helps get your health back on track then it’s an added bonus.