• Have You Used a Compression Vest ?

Posted by jen-cueva on September 3, 2020 at 12:22 pm

A member, @carol-alexander, ask if anyone has used a vest for mucous. I have seen and heard of compression vests. These vests are worn to vibrate and break up excess mucous. These are commonly used in other rare disease communities like cystic fibrosis.

I have not heard of any of my PH friends who have used one. I used neb treatments to help with excess mucous as needed, and also I use plain Mucinex.

I did find this one,, Smartvest, although there are many brands out there. It is also quite expensive from what I have heard.

Has anyone used a compression vest to help break up excess mucous? If so, please share your experience.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Colleen

September 3, 2020 at 4:01 pm

@carol-alexander my son hasn’t used one yet. If his lung rejection progresses in the future he was told this would be something they would try to help slow the process. As Jen mentioned, it is something many people in the rare disease community have used and from what I have heard, it does help. It’s just a matter of being committed to making time to do it every day. Let us know if you proceed with one.

• annefox

September 4, 2020 at 1:22 pm

I’ve never worn one neither has my son, nor have I heard of them. I know in the olden days(30 years ago), I had a little machine/handle bigger than a telephone that plugged in and I would move it slowly all over his back to loosen the mucus. I also had to use the side of my hand to bang around his back. It would have been so much less time consuming each morning before school and work for him to have had a vest to wear.

Anne

• jen-cueva

September 8, 2020 at 3:07 pm

Hi @anne, it sounds like you were using percussion to help your son. That is exactly what the vest is intended to do. Much easier, for sure. Thankfully, we have research and technology advancements, right?

• cynthia

September 8, 2020 at 5:48 pm

Interesting! This is an old but sure method of loosening mucous in the lungs. Seems like vibration machines would work also, or hand held vibration units. You can do this on the back or the chest.

• jen-cueva

September 9, 2020 at 12:55 pm

So true @cynthia-winston. Often the older technology comes into play with the new technology. Yes, I have watched a respiratory therapist perform percussion on kids with CF and other diseases that cause an excess of mucus.

A great tip for using a hand vibrating devices to do this. Have you tried this method?

• Colleen

September 9, 2020 at 8:36 pm

@cynthia-winston and @jenc during his first week post-transplant I remember there was some sort of vibrating device my son had to use several times a day. It was so painful because of his surgical wounds but it did help loosen the mucus. A lot of that first week is a blur to me because there was so much equipment in his room and treatments were changing on a daily basis, but I think it was a mask or hand held device of some sort that vibrated and had a treatment in it? I wish I could remember. Cullen won’t remember because he was on a lot of pain medication at the time. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

• jen-cueva

September 10, 2020 at 12:05 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I do not know which device you are referring to. But, I do know that there are many handheld devices to help do percussion that breaks up the mucous. I think one was capella or something. I do not know the exact name but something that sounds like that.

Did y’all have to pay for that device? I have heard that any of these vests and handhelds are costly. I would think the handheld would be much more cost-effective.

• Carol alexander

September 12, 2020 at 2:29 pm

I just received my smart vest I will let you know how this works the treatments are twice a day for about 15 minutes.i look at the boxes and think what’s next a little down in the dumps

• jen-cueva

September 14, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Hi @carol-alexander, I am grateful to hear that you received your vest. Twice a day sounds like a great start and should help with mucous. I am sorry to hear that you are down in the dumps. Please know that we are here and care for you. What can we do to best support you?

Big hugs coming your way from Texas <3.

• jen-cueva

September 29, 2020 at 9:47 am

Hi @carol-alexander, I am just checking in to see how your compression vest is helping you. Have you seen any improvements by using it? How are things this week? Thinking of you.

• zsmom

September 29, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Zakki has used his Airway clearance Vest every day twice a day for 19 years. It’s just a part of his life. The only time we don’t use it is when he has massive Hemoptysis bleeds. It’s very helpful for his plastic bronchitis and helps keep fluid out of his congenital heart lungs. He does neb treatments about six times a day so he uses the vest after his morning and night 45 minute nebs.

• jen-cueva

September 30, 2020 at 11:27 am

Thank you @zsmom, for sharing Zakki’s use of the compression and how it helps him. BTW, I like that “Zakki,” my “son-in-love” is Zachk, so I smile each time I read Zakki. 😀

So many who I know in other rare disease communities use these vests like Zakki. This is just part of their daily treatments and schedule. Was it difficult for you to learn how to get him ready for the vest? Some look much easier than others.

Thanks for sharing, and again, welcome to the forums.

• zsmom

September 30, 2020 at 11:59 am

I had been doing percussion clapping for hours and hours a day and it just got to the point that his pulmonologist offered the solution of the vest. We didn’t do anything to get him ready for it but we ALWAYS played board games, colored or did activities with him while he did his Ben’s and vest. Now that he’s older I don’t play games with him but I still help him get it on and change the settings. His health is a Team sport100% – he has mom managed care 24/7 but also he knows that none of his medical is his fault (his heart and lungs defects are genetic from paternal side) and I’m by his side every step, every med, every surgery, every hour of the way. He needs help with all his ADLs so the vest is no different than anything else.

• zsmom

September 30, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Zakki has had four different models of the vest over 19 years. All from Hillrom.

• jen-cueva

September 30, 2020 at 12:13 pm

Thanks for sharing @zsmom. I can only begin to imagine how tired your arms and hands were after doing percussion. Thankfully, you were told about the vests.

I love how you describe this as a team sport. It is not a sport, but it is life for you and your family and has been for 19 plus years. Caregivers do not get the appreciation that they deserve. I worked in hospice care before PH, so I have watched many families working around the clock doing what needs to be done. Sadly, this is not by choice, but I also know you offer him the best care.

Hopefully, you take some time for yourself as caregivers often neglect their selves. What is one tip that you would offer a caregiver who is also a parent?

• jen-cueva

October 4, 2020 at 6:06 pm

Hi @carol-alexander, how is your vest going? Are you able to use it twice per day? Have you noticed any benefits for you yet? I am just checking in for an update.

Big hugs from Texas <3