• High red blood cell count

Posted by libby on March 15, 2021 at 4:20 pm

Good afternoon – Wondering if anyone else has a chronically high red blood cell count due to low oxygen? It’s called secondary erythrocysitis. I’ve had high RBC for years, its always flagged on blood work and I never had an explanation. I was reading a very interesting article on how people with heart/lung disorders have chronically low oxygen, the body makes up for it by producing more RBC. Usually it doesn’t cause any issues but sometimes the RBC gets too high and can cause other issues. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Makes perfect sense to me!

valeriekv replied 3 years ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Colleen

March 15, 2021 at 4:35 pm

That is interesting @libby. I don’t recall this being an issue for Cullen but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t on his doctor’s radar. Can you share the link to the article with us?

• libby

March 16, 2021 at 10:08 am

http://heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm_317632.pdf

Let’s give this is a try. It’s a pdf so hard to get a link.

• jen-cueva

March 16, 2021 at 10:26 am

Thanks, @libby. I can read that link; I appreciate that you shared it with us here. Do you have PH related to CHD? I was reading those are the PH patients who have seen the high RBC.

I have some issues with my blood counts being off, but they think some of my PH meds and my kidney issues and anemia are to blame. Who knows?

This was a great informative piece.

• libby

March 16, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Yes I do have severe CHD and my PAH is a result of it.

• jen-cueva

March 17, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for sharing, @libby. Do you also see a hematologist for blood count issues? I do for my anemia, which I am about a year behind since COVID.

• valeriekv

March 18, 2021 at 1:30 pm

Libby, I know that very well! I always have elevated red blood cells. A cardiologist told me a long time ago that it was because of hypertension. Then I read the information myself (when I wanted to understand the results of the blood test) and learned about what you say (about the lack of oxygen). So I’m no longer worried about the elevated red blood cell count. I know it’s elevated, in advance ????