Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Exercising With PH How does exercise impact your mental health?

• How does exercise impact your mental health?

Posted by Brittany Foster on January 16, 2020 at 1:06 pm

Lately, I have been trying to work out more and get some exercise in through the day. I walk my dog for 10 to 15 minutes about 5 times a day. Usually I try to get at least an hour of active time a day.

I spend a lot of time at my computer for the work that I do during the day, so any time I can get outside in the fresh air and move my body it really helps. I also have been trying to incorporate more strength training through pilates into my workouts. I like to get this done in the morning to have a better start to my day.

Exercise has always helped me both physically and mentally. The mental health benefits of exercise really keeps me motivated to continue with my routine. It makes me feel like I have more energy, allows an outlet for my stress and anxiety, and makes me feel less depressed and unmotivated.

How does exercise have a positive impact on your life? What benefits does it bring to your mental health?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Colleen

January 16, 2020 at 4:43 pm

Brittany, I read this after posting about the bike chair for special needs. I don’t know how expensive those bikes are or if you can find a nice used one but maybe that would be exercise you can enjoy. If your fiance is willing, maybe you can ride ride the bike while he walks next to you and then you could sit in the chair and he can ride you back if you get too tired. Maybe that sounds too crazy? In my head it’s a cute idea.

• Brittany Foster

January 16, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Colleen,

That sounds awesome but it probably realistically wouldn’t happen lol! I do like the style of the bike though. I like bikes outside especially because it is an activity to do that is easily adaptable with my oxygen on my back. I usually enjoy doing workouts at the gym and just have my oxygen next to the equipment. I find that a lot of the workouts I do can easily be modified or they already have a modified version