Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health How Does Pain Impact Your Mental Health?

• How Does Pain Impact Your Mental Health?

Posted by Brittany Foster on March 14, 2019 at 1:53 pm

I don’t know about other members on here, but when I am in a lot of pain, it really takes a toll on my mental health and I need to reach out to my doctors for help for pain control and for help with managing the stress from being in constant pain. There is a lot of stigma around using medications for pain, but when it is necessary, I find that I have no other option than to take medication so my body can get out of a state of such stress and anxiety because of the pain.

Pain not only impacts my anxiety level because it sends my body into a state of flight or fight almost all the time, but it also impacts my depression. This is why it is so important for me to get my pain properly managed and under control when I am having a difficult time. When my physical health suffers, so does my mental health.

Do you find that pain impacts your mental health? What changes do your notice in your mental health when you are experiencing a lot of pain? How do you manage your pain? How do you also manage the toll that it takes on your anxiety/depression/mental illness?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.