• Brittany Foster

March 25, 2019 at 9:59 am

Hi Libby,
    I guess it would probably totally depend on the underlying congenital heart condition that is causing the pressures in the heart to increase. For some of us with CHD this has been our “normal”. For example, some with CHD have a normal oxygen level of in the 80s and it is no concern for their CHD doctor but if you went to an ER they would probably freak out about it. Our bodies have weird ways of adapting to things that would be “abnornal’or a cause for concern in the average person without CHD. Does that make sense ?

• Libby

March 25, 2019 at 10:40 am

Yes it does! It’s just weird that research articles state this but don’t say WHY.

• Brittany Foster

March 25, 2019 at 10:43 am

I’m sure that’s definitely part of it. Also some conditions like the one I was born with which was a large VSD caused my pulmonary hypertension as a baby but when I had the hole closed it eventually went back to “normal” until I started having problems as I got older with other heart conditions and breathing conditions. So maybe that’s part of it too because when the defect is “repaired” it helps with the pressures.

• Kathleen Sheffer

March 25, 2019 at 11:12 pm

Libby, can you paste the link to the research article you are referencing? I’d like to read more about this. I think maybe they mean that PH secondary to CHD is usually less severe than idiopathic PAH, but definitely want to check out the source and the data behind this claim.

• Brittany Foster

March 26, 2019 at 8:08 am

Yes. I’d be interested in seeing the article too because originally my PH was caused by my CHD!

• Lisa

March 26, 2019 at 12:14 pm
    • Brittany Foster

March 26, 2019 at 12:34 pm

Thank you for the link Lisa. Were you able to read the article? What are your thoughts on it? I will have to give it a read too!