Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Let’s Celebrate Pride Month

• Let’s Celebrate Pride Month

Posted by jen-cueva on June 1, 2021 at 12:27 pm

Each June, Pride Month is celebrated. For those of you who are within the LGBTQ community, please feel free to share your stories, too. We want to support all of our members.

I have never been to a Pride parade but have several cousins who are part of the LGBTQ community and celebrate each year. The crowds are always massive. I have noticed through their pics the amount of family and friends who come out for support. This is awesome!

For those of you who have no clue and want to learn more about Pride Month and the history behind it, here is a link that should open your eyes a bit more.

Anyone here plan to participate in any events for Pride Month? If so, what types of traditions/celebrations will you participate in? Is this for yourself or a family or friend?

For those who attend these events, do you find that they are accessible for those in wheelchairs, scooters, etc.?

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Colleen

June 1, 2021 at 2:46 pm

A good friend of Cullen’s attended a Pride Parade about a year after her transplant. I know it meant so much to her on many levels, including finally being healthy enough to participate. I’m sad to say she passed away or I would ask her more about the experience.

• jen-cueva

June 2, 2021 at 11:17 am

Thanks for sharing that story about Cullen’s transplant friends. It is heartbreaking that she passed away. It sounds like she was young, too, @colleensteele.

I know a few young PHriends who would be interested in Pride celebrations. I hope that we have some here who want to share their experiences either for themselves or to support a friend or loved one.

It makes me sad that people can be so judgemental and not accepting. This happened with a few of my friends and family members. Heart-breaking, to say the least.

• Colleen

June 2, 2021 at 4:37 pm

@jenc she was a year older than Cullen. Her parents were very supportive in all aspects of her life. It’s sad that not everyone has the same experience.

• jen-cueva

June 3, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Wow, @colleensteele, yes, so sad. I wish everyone, especially after going through a transplant, could enjoy life as they desire.

I know for me, I feel guilty when PH patients pass away so fast. Some never have a chance to experience the treatments and life with PH.

It’s sad, like you say, that all cannot have the same experiences regarding the positives.

• susi-steppins

June 6, 2021 at 10:03 am

Good morning from Denver on this fine Sunday morning.
    This is a topic near and dear to my heart.
    @colleensteele what a shame that Cullen’s friend is no longer here.
    @jenc this is a nice topic.
    My brother was gay and he certainly would have loved being a part of this yearly month long celebration.
    He died in 1991 and there isn’t a day that goes by when a thought of him doesn’t put a smile on my face.
    Fittingly his birthday was in June.
    I have a picture of his quilt from the AIDS memorial quilt that I use as a screen saver for the month of June.

• jen-cueva

June 7, 2021 at 11:58 am

Wow, @s-steppins, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. Not only will you carry those memories during June as his birthday and pride celebrations areheld. This must be difficult for you each day.

Sadly back in 1991, they did not have many options for those with AIDS/HIV. Working in hospice before my PH diagnosis, I was honored to meet and care for many HIV patients and their loved ones.

That memorial quilt must hold a special place in your heart. Is he older or younger than you? Do you have other siblings? Please only share as you feel comfortable. Thank you for opening up and sharing this with us.

One of my younger cousins passed away quickly last year. Some thought it might have been suicide. That is so tough to grasp for me. This month, we will celebrate him, what is his name?

• Colleen

June 7, 2021 at 7:48 pm

@s-steppins I’m sorry to hear that you lost a brother. It sounds like he left you with many precious memories that make you smile. I’m sure he was an amazing person.

• susi-steppins

June 8, 2021 at 12:03 pm

@jenc and @colleensteele thank you for the kind words.
    He was an amazing person and was gone way too young at the age of 40.
    He was 12 years older than me, my sister is 5 years older than me and I am the youngest.
    It is true that in 1991 it was still so new and people were afraid of it.
    As I told the people that we knew about how he had died some of them stopped allowing my children to play with theirs.
    I understood. We fear what we don’t know.
    His name was Ralph.
    @jenc, so sorry for the loss of your cousin.
    It’s a very tough thing for those left behind.

• Colleen

June 8, 2021 at 12:44 pm

@s-steppins I will think of Ralph and say a prayer for him and your family every June from now on.

• jen-cueva

June 8, 2021 at 1:30 pm

Wow, thanks so much for sharing your story about Ralph with us, @s-steppins. That is too sad. You are right; people did not understand and know as much as they do now. But, I am sorry that you and your children were treated like that.

Ralph is in my thoughts and prayers, as well as you and your family. Thank you, my cousin was almost 30, his name is Justin. Still so much pain for the families for sure. But he was an amazing and fun young man.

Big hugs coming to you from Texas to Denver. My daughter is in Golden; I may have already told you.

• jen-cueva

June 16, 2021 at 6:01 pm

A columnist, Mike, who recently returned to writing with us did an awesome job on his recent column. He writes about Pride Month, ableism, and accessibility issues in one exceptionally written column.

For those who are interested, check his column out here.