Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Let’s Embrace Diversity With PH

• Let’s Embrace Diversity With PH

Posted by jen-cueva on January 18, 2023 at 11:34 am

A new PH diagnosis is difficult to accept. It not only changes our lives, but it also changes the lives of those around us, too. This can often mean role reversals, financial changes, and losing some of our autonomy.

Friday, January 20, is International Day of Acceptance. It’s our chance to celebrate our abilities with our disabilities.

What has been most difficult for you to accept about PH? What changes can you make to work towards acceptance? Let’s embrace diversity with PH.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 2 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

January 31, 2023 at 10:39 am

As I thought a bit more about this question, I’ve struggled the most with accepting help from others. Almost 18 years after my diagnosis, I’m finally doing better with this, most days.

I WAS the caregiver, the nurse, and now on the opposite side, have taken some time to accept this fact. However, after talking with others and, more recently, deep conversations with myself, I’ve realized that I can continue to care for others in various ways.

But there are days when I must accept that my health is a priority and that I can’t help anyone if I am not at my best. I’m uncertain if it’s time or age; however, I am more accepting most days.

Reminding myself of my many abilities helps me to embrace my disabilities if that makes sense.

How have you managed in similar circumstances?

I look forward to hearing your stories, and I’m sure others could learn from our collective experiences. Thank you for being a part of this community! Together, we can make a living with PH easier and better.