• Looking Back at 2022; Reflections

Posted by jen-cueva on December 28, 2022 at 3:38 pm

As we count down 2022, it’s often a great time for reflection. This can be a time to reflect on the challenging times and celebrate the milestones.

We often learn that we can have grief while experiencing joy together. They say we can’t enjoy rainbows without a little rain.

Share some of your favorite milestones or most difficult challenges of 2022. We at Pulmonary Hypertension News wish you and your loved ones a happy and safe 2023!

Colleen replied 1 year, 3 months ago 5 Members · 46 Replies
  • 46 Replies
  • brenda-denzler

December 28, 2022 at 4:09 pm

This year I got answers to why I am so easily short of breath and can exert myself less and less. I’ve been fighting this battle for answers for more than a decade, so it was a real milestone.

This year I got a handicapped parking placard for the first time. A mixed blessing. And another kind of milestone.

This year I got approved for supplemental nocturnal oxygen. I’ll get an oxygen concentrator before too much longer.

This year I adopted two dogs, so I’m a doggie mom again, after being without for a few years. I also had to say goodbye to my oldest cat, who was riddled with cancer in his abdomen. It was his time.

This year I began writing a learning module on treatment-related medical PTSD for physicians, nurses, and other health care workers.

This year I shopped my book manuscript around, but without success. I did get a bit of good advice from a couple of people, though, so that was good.

In the spring I had a TON of editing work to do. It kept me so busy, I didn’t know whether I’d found a rope or lost a horse. But the extra income sure was nice!

By the way, speaking of editing work…. Jen, I think in the above you meant we “can’t” enjoy rainbows without a little rain! I’ve been copy editing everything I read since I was in the 3rd grade. As an undergrad, at the end of each semester I sent a list of typos and errors in my assigned books to the publishers of those books. What’s most galling to me, at this point in my life, is finding that I am sending out my own writing with typos, myself. Sheesh! Not the professional image one wants to project, eh?

So, anyway…. having double-checked this message for typos and hopefully not missed any…..

Brenda

• jen-cueva

January 9, 2023 at 1:49 pm

Hi @brendad53, my apologies for missing this response. I love it! I did edit that post above; thanks, Ms. Editor.

Wow, you’ve really accomplished tons this year! Why do I only remember one dog? Isn’t she Maggie Mae? Maybe I’m thinking of someone else, LOL.

That training module on medical PTSD for healthcare providers will be excellent! Congrats! This will benefit many of us as patients; thank you.

What is your book about? How long did it take you to write it? Shopping it around must be exciting and frustrating at once.

I can see so many changes in your thoughts since you joined, Brenda. You have grown in many ways, so pat yourself on the shoulder, my PHriend. You’ve kicked butt this past year!

Isn’t it crazy how we think we have been unproductive, then we list these things, and wow, no wonder we are exhausted?

So, what plans do you have to crush 2023?

• brenda-denzler

January 9, 2023 at 7:20 pm

Yes. Maggie Mae. (I marvel at your memory. Confess. You keep notes, right? If not, I admire your brain!) In the early summer I adopted her sister, Lily Marlena. Maggie needed a playmate, and I am too old and slow to be it! Having two dogs is actually much easier than having just one. At least when they are this young!

My book is about having treatment-related medical trauma and THEN getting an aggressive form of cancer that meant I was going to have to interact with people and places that quite literally had been featured in my nightmares for decades. It has taken years to write and edit. Current version is 11. (That’s “eleven” not Roman numeral “2”.) My first book (dissertation) had a publisher waiting for it, so I don’t have experience to draw upon in trying to get this one published. It’s been a grueling experience.

Plans for 2023? I have mountains of debt, and I need to get that whittled down. Not sure what I’m going to have to do to make this happen. I edit as much as I can.

Changes in my thoughts? I’m not sure how so! As long as it’s for the better, however, then I guess I’ll believe you. 🙂

So, Jen. What have been YOUR major events in 2022?

Brenda

• jen-cueva

January 10, 2023 at 2:19 pm

You got me, @brendad53; I take tons of notes. Funny, I didn’t have this on any notes, so I’m grateful I got it correct! Hehe.

As @colleensteele says, we know what is going on with our members. However, there is so much more to learn, as shown by your accomplishments and milestones from 2022. I learned more about you. Yes, the change in thoughts is an improvement I’ve seen since you joined. It can’t be easy with your medical PTSD to try and build trust again with the healthcare providers.

2022 was a year that I would not like to do over. Some things involve a close family member, but there are already some slight improvements as we begin 2023, thank God.

Let’s see, Manny and I signed up at a local gym. I haven’t been as often as I would like, but it is more than I was doing at home. I moved my body more as we celebrated a year back in San Diego. I was at the beach so much, and that’s my happy place.

Like you, a milestone that is not so joyous. I gave in and now have q disabled license plate on my Jeep. As usual, many medical “hiccups,” but hoping that improves, too. Overall, minus one big hiccup, 2022 treated us well.

Ahh. pay down debt, yes, we’ve done that twice, but it seems every time we catch up, something happens, and it goes upward again. I need help with having fun and enjoying life to the fullest while trying to be financially stable for the future. One side of my brain is like, “you only live one,” and the other is, “heck no, save that dough.” It’s different than we have lots of extra anyway, hehe.

• brenda-denzler

January 10, 2023 at 3:15 pm

I am no longer convinced that we “only live once,” Jen. But if we do live multiple lifetimes, I can say with some assurance that we don’t get to take any tangible assets with us from one lifetime to the next. Perhaps I was Rockefeller in my last life, and I’m consigned to a life of definitely-not-Rockefeller this time around? 🙂

• jen-cueva

January 11, 2023 at 10:00 am

Hi @brendad53, so true…I know I have lived already more than one time, too. But that quote always gets me, like, let’s be wild and crazy, Life is meant to be lived. That one may be a better quote.

Hehe at Rockerfeller!

• brenda-denzler

January 11, 2023 at 11:55 am

Know?

I strongly, strongly suspect, but can’t quite characterize myself as knowing for sure.

Interestingly, I worked with a man raised in KS in a largely Mennonite subculture. Traditional Mennonite. He once told me that has always felt that he’s been here before. As in “has lived” before. If he has truly always felt that way, then this means that as a child growing up in a culture that did not believe in reincarnation, he nevertheless felt that he had been here before. How’d he come to have that feeling, I wonder?

• Colleen

January 9, 2023 at 7:54 pm

Great choice of topic @jenc! Sometimes we get lost in thought with the “I didn’t do’s” and neglect to pay well earned mental respect to what was accomplished. Keeping a journal helps me with this. It helps me reflect on the past in our more rounded way.

It’s nice to have a place like the forums to take self-reflection a step further by saying out loud what has gone well and what still needs work. It’s also a great way to get to know each other better. It feels like we share just about everything here but there are things on @brendad53 list I didn’t know was going on in her life until now. It sounds like 2022 has left you with a lot to proud of Brenda!

To be honest, I think my greatest accomplishment in 2022 was surviving it. It was tough year for me on many levels and I’m trying to focus on what I need to do to make 2023 better.

If I were to pull some real positives out of last year it would be seeing my youngest have the confidence and maturity to move out of state, get a place of his own and advance his career. It would also be seeing Cullen healthy and confident enough to take his first solo journey away from home to visit his brother for a month in Louisiana. And in 2022 I got myself to a doctor, figured out the cause of my neuropathy and began a treatment that worked to cure it!

How about you @jenc? What do you think of when you reflect on 2022?

• jen-cueva

January 10, 2023 at 2:36 pm

Hi @colleensteele, you remind me of when I would journal each morning or night; my days seemed better. I have neglected that habit for months and may need to revisit it this year.

You have had one busy year and so much going on. I know your oldest move so far from home must have been so difficult. I know he is doing exceptionally well and moving up the ladder at a young age. You’re also proud of him. It’s always challenging to let them fly.

Then you’ve also had many health complications yourself. I hope most of those have improved. You also remain a constant caregiver at home. Hopefully, you are taking care of yourself! We worry so much about everyone else then we are left drained and worn down mentally, physically, and emotionally. Caregiving is one of the most challenging jobs.

Cullen’s health was stable, and taking that giant leap to fly alone to see his brother was a huge milestone for everyone. I’m incredibly proud of this young man; he is amazing! I know you are excited to hear all the stories unless you have them by phone.

You had your first Christmas without either of the boys, so I know that was bittersweet. Losing your beloved Mellow is so heartbreaking for all. But I know Cullen will struggle the most without her. Please take care of yourself and let us know how we can support you this new year.

Will you be walking again once the weather warms up some? I know you enjoyed that before. It’s time to take care of you and your hubby now.

• brenda-denzler

January 9, 2023 at 7:57 pm

Colleen, did I miss an update about how Cullen did visiting his brother? Or is not home yet?

• jen-cueva

January 11, 2023 at 10:02 am

He arrived back home last night, as far as I know, @brendad53. He and his brother had quite a long bonding time while his brother was on vacation. I bet @colleensteele will update you more today.

• Colleen

January 11, 2023 at 10:52 pm

Thank you for asking @brendad53. Cullen got home last night. What I haven’t shared yet is that his dog died while he was away. The poor guy is ALWAYS home and when he ventured out on his own for the first time, his dog gets critically ill and we had to make the difficult decision to let her go. Returning home to no Mellow to greet him was hard but he’s holding up ok. I think his brother is feeling a bit down having an empty apartment again.

• brenda-denzler

January 12, 2023 at 6:44 am

That’s horrible news to come home to. Poor Mellow. But you know, it could be that she wasn’t ABLE to let go of this life while Cullen was around, because he needed her so much. When he left, she was able to make a transition that she’d been needing to make? I don’t know how old a dog she was, but perhaps……  No matter, however, it hurts to lose fur family. I’ve had a bit of experience with that down through the years. My condolences to Cullen.

• Colleen

January 12, 2023 at 8:06 pm

Thank you @brendad53. I thought of that too, that Mellow was holding on while Cullen was here. I just hope she didn’t give up because she thought he wasn’t coming back.

• brenda-denzler

January 12, 2023 at 9:07 pm

My bet is that she will come back to say good-bye to Cullen in his dreams. She is relieved that he is better and is now launching into a more independent life.

• jen-cueva

January 13, 2023 at 12:53 pm

I love this bet, @brendad53 and I hope this is what will happen shortly for Cullen. Excellent mind, you have. How old are you8 again? I need to learn what tricks you have to keep your mind sharp. Please share. I assume lots of reading because you do editing work.

• brenda-denzler

January 13, 2023 at 1:59 pm

How old am I? Well, when I was a girl, God was just in knee-pants. 🙂

As for sharp mind, that is getting rapidly duller. I have better days and worse days, but I really am concerned. But yes, I’ve always been a big reader. To the point that I’m thinking my kids are gonna remember me UNfondly when I die, because I have so many books they’ll have to get rid of. I’ve already unloaded several hundred, but I still have a lot. 🙂

• Colleen

January 13, 2023 at 6:11 pm

@brendad53 “God was in knee-high pants”…LOL! I never heard that one before. You make me laugh!

I wish I was the avid reader I once was. My reading time slowed down when Cullen was listed for transplant and I still don’t make time to embrace it the way I used to. I’m hoping to get back in the routine in 2023.

When I was a kid I was never without a book in my hand. My dad still laughs at my being grounded as a pre-teen. They took my TV and radio our of my room and my mom expressed concern because I was so quiet. No complaining, no sound coming from my room. My dad said he knew why – I was reading. He said if they really wanted to ground me they should have taken my books instead! LOL!

• brenda-denzler

January 13, 2023 at 6:22 pm

Colleen, you sound like a woman after my own heart. I have always loved books.

At one point in my young adulthood I (much to my surprise) found myself reading far right political literature. I mean, FAR right! (Long story.) When I kinda got over it and moved on, I wanted to get rid of the books. However, it’s against my religion to burn them! And yet I didn’t want to give them away and risk infecting someone with that sh*t. I finally found a “political extremist” special collection in a university library and donated them there.

Books are books. Even ones that should never have seen the light of day.

• jen-cueva

January 16, 2023 at 12:05 pm

Hehe, @brendad53, that’s too funny! I never heard of anyone using that saying about God wearing “knee-pants”!

My apologies; I forgot that polite young ladies don’t ask women their age. Oh, NM, I’m not a polite young lady, LOL.

Oh My! I grew up reading books, too. I loved going to the library from a young age. I still do, at times. There is one across the street near us, so it’s convenient. I don’t like online books. I prefer holding it in my hand; I’m more connected.

Like @colleensteele, I never minded being grounded, either. I just brought home more library books. I remember the Nancy Drew series and several others growing up. Judy Blume, etc. My late grandmother read detective magazines. I was an advanced reader, so about 4th or 5th grade, I would be found reading her old stacks of Detective magazines. Man, those stories were so “juicy” and probably much more advanced than my mother would have wanted me to read.

I miss reading so much. But since I had COVID, I had yet to finish any book except small 100 pages or less. I received 2 for Christmas, so hoping to get those read. I started one and forgot about it.

Reading helps us keep our minds active. So hopefully, you won’t get too dull, Brenda. I had to die laughing about your political reads. That’s hilarious.

When we downsized and moved to SD, I donated two huge boxes of books. I vowed that I wouldn’t buy books or use the library. Well, I’ve found that I have purchased several books in a year. However, I’ve also used the library some, too. Do you have a specific genre or read pretty much anything, Brenda?

• brenda-denzler

January 16, 2023 at 12:15 pm

I read mostly non-fiction. I think I was born into this world thinking, “WTF?!!!” and I’ve been trying to figure it out ever since. 🙂

• jen-cueva

January 16, 2023 at 12:37 pm

Haha, @brendad53, even if we weren’t born asking that question, I bet most are asking it now.

So, is your non-fiction mostly science? Or anything that you’re curious about, which I bet is most topics. Am I correct?

• brenda-denzler

January 16, 2023 at 3:54 pm

Welllll….. I have a section on out-of-body experience. A section on death and dying. A section of New Age stuff. A section of genetics/evolution stuff. A section of Christian history stuff–mostly early Christian history, with some medieval and modern. A section of primary texts–religious texts like Koran, Bible, OAHSPE, Tao de Ching, and writings of early church fathers, etc. A section of medical stuff. A section of PTSD stuff. A section of UFO stuff. A section of spirituality/mysticism/inspirational stuff. A section of pets and animal stuff. A section of fiction. A section of breast cancer stuff. A section on magic. A section of “Fortean” stuff. A small section of “how-to” stuff. A section of biographies/autobiographies. A section of autism stuff. A section of folklore and myth stuff. A section of political stuff. A section of social science/social psychology stuff. A section of feminist stuff.

I think that’s most of my categories…..

• jen-cueva

January 17, 2023 at 10:19 am

Wow, it sounds like you have your library, Brenda. No joke!

I love that you end with that is “most” of my categories. Hehe

• jen-cueva

January 13, 2023 at 12:51 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I can’t imagine how poor Cullen is hurting. I know he and you all will miss Mellow. My deepest condolences, and keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

@ brendad53 has a great idea that could be a possibility. But then again, if Mellow thought Cullen wasn’t coming back, that may have been too much for her.

I had that this happened while he was away, venturing solo with his brother. You had to tell the poor guy: big hugs and extra love. Mellow has been through more than we could realize with her buddy, Cullen.

• jen-cueva

January 10, 2023 at 2:53 pm

Hey @ traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, you might want to share some on this post. Besides the struggles, what things can you share that you did or felt in 2022?

Have you seen your kids since the last time? What do you want to do in 2023 to make it a better year for you? We are here to support you through it.

• brenda-denzler

January 10, 2023 at 3:17 pm

Colleen, what worked to cure your neuropathy? I have neuropathy nowadays. Possibly due to my cancer treatments, or possibly due to other things. Whatever the cause, it is slowly progressive. It fluctuates in intensity and pain. I’ve thought of taking gabapentin, but my PCP points out that it simply masks the symptoms but does not cure. So I’m interested in what you have done to cure it.

• Colleen

January 11, 2023 at 10:59 pm

@brendad53 I had a bunch of tests done on my legs and feet that didn’t result in any answers. Then a neurologist requested labs for things that had never been tested. Turned out my B6 and B12 levels were extremely low and neuropathy is one of the first concerning symptoms before other things start to unravel.

He had me buy over the counter B6 (100 mg’s) and B12 (1000 mcg’s). I take each one time a day. I was skeptical that vitamins would do anything but within a week I noticed the neuropathy losing intensity and a month later…it was gone.

I should add though that extreme heat made my symptoms worse so it being winter now might also be contributing to the change.

• jen-cueva

January 13, 2023 at 12:56 pm

I hope those supplements keep working for you, @colleensteele. Neuropathy can be so annoying. You know we don’t give those essential vitamins and minerals enough attention. I shared a post about this last week and an article talking about that with those with PH.

@brendad53, how’s your supplement routine working out for you so far? Any improvements?

• brenda-denzler

January 13, 2023 at 1:56 pm

Interesting question, Jen. I didn’t think they were doing the breathing much good. I have felt stronger, somehow. But didn’t notice a lot of difference in my breathing.

Then I went for 4-5 days without taking one of the components—the creatine. And I began to be noticeably worse again. So I’m starting it up again today. We shall see.

The theory behind taking the supplements is that if my impaired oxygen extraction is due to mitochondrial dysfunction, these supplements might help. As for the PH component of things, no doctors are very concerned about it.

• jen-cueva

January 16, 2023 at 12:42 pm

OMG, @brendad53, I have found that with supplements and medications alike, we often feel they aren’t making a difference. Then we go without it for any period and discover they were helping.

By getting started again, I hope you’ll notice some improvements. Most stop supplements because it usually takes time to balance our bodies. We all want relief and want it now.

I have a few supplements I’ve read about recently that were proven to help kidney function that I plan on discussing with my Nephrologist tomorrow.

• ky

January 11, 2023 at 6:41 am

What a wonderful forum topic, although I like Colleen I would say we survived it, we managed to somehow make it through the heartaches of losing a daughter to her fight with PAH.

However despite all that we got our patio finished, put up a greenhouse and I was semi -successful with my first ever veggie garden. We also left the country for the first and second time in 2022! That is a big milestone for me because I have always dreamed of traveling to new places, and in Cabo I got to watch baby sea turtles making their way to the ocean (dream come true for me). So even though 2022 started out in the most heart wrenching way we managed to make some new and wonderful memories, Thank you @JenC for this topic so I could reflect and remember that 2022 was not All bad!

I just want to say thank you to Everyone here for helping me through the sadness and the heartaches and finding my way back to Hope that my husband wont follow right behind Kay; Although the fear takes over from time to time you have all helped me breath through it on my hardest days!

And Bravo it looks like we all accomplished much in the prior year and should all take a moment to pat ourselves on the back! ~Sometimes we need a topic like this to remember how much we have done, its so easy to focus on the negatives!

@JenC didn’t you also travel Alone your very first time in 2022? With PAH that is no small feat, and I admit I don’t think I could allow Bryan… I would be calling him every hour and chewing off every nail!

@Colleen you can officially say you have done a wonderful job as a mother, that milestone of raising a child to be Independent and actually watch them find their own success is so amazing; But I am so proud of you for taking time to take care of YOU!!! with all you do for everyone else I know it was hard to find the time and energy to do that

@Brenda Wow a book? That is amazing especially with everything you have been through with your health! And bravo for going Back to doctors after so much PTSD and finding answers finally!

(I give us all a standing ovation, its official we all survived 2022)!

• brenda-denzler

January 11, 2023 at 8:15 am

@ky, thank you! <<laughing>> I’m taking a bow now. 🙂

• jen-cueva

January 11, 2023 at 10:14 am

Wow, @kygon, I know you all have endured much heartache losing your young daughter to PH. But now, having your husband diagnosed, I can’t begin to imagine. However, I’m grateful that it led you to us here because you’ve also brought so much to our members. You’ve generously shared your struggles and what has helped you at times.

Traveling twice outside the US in one year is impressive with PH! I give y’all huge props! You’ve been actively redoing your patio and garden, aka your sanctuary. Didn’t you also have a kid who graduated high school?

I must add that Cabo trip to see the sea turtles to my list. Tell me more. I was working on my passport when COVID hit. I need to get that going again.

Yes, oops, I forgot, I did manage that flight first time solo with PH in March. Ohh, Manny was a hot mess more than me, I think. Thanks for remembering that; it was a massive milestone with PH. However, I was hoping it would make me want to do it again. Don’t tell Manny, but I prefer he is with me as I travel, if possible. I’ll fly alone if I need to, though, now that I can do it!

See @brendad53; I do forget things, too. CRS always kicks in, and I’m already sippin’ my morning coffee. Lovely bow, btw. Hehe.

Thanks for sharing some of our milestones that we may have forgotten about or not even counted for the year!

Yep, a standing ovation to all! Cheers to 2023 as we continue to PHight and reach these milestones.

• Colleen

January 11, 2023 at 11:08 pm

@kygon you have been on my mind a lot lately so it’s good to hear from you. When I think of the heartbreak you and your family endured in 2022 I am reminded to reevaluate what I consider a bad year.

Thank you for sharing the highlights of your year with us. It might be encouraging to others who are grieving and facing other difficult experiences to know that happy moments are still possible.

Happy new year to you!

• ky

January 12, 2023 at 6:31 am

@Colleen thank you so much you all really have been my rock and house this year!

@JenC I gift you the goal of getting a passport in 2023! And Cabo is like a 2 hr flight for you!

You’re right we did have a graduate this year, I guess I looked at that as His accomplishment not ours lol I mean he really did the work and he got a job and moved out, however he has not decided to continue his education and it has been a common discussion as we gingerly Try to encourage him to do so ..  but no longer our decision. Sometimes letting them make bad choices is part of parenting too. UGH…

So one more thing in 2022 I found  a life hack for ladies .. IDK if any of you love to have curly wavy hair but are too lazy to pick up that curling iron and spend 20- 40 min- UGH I cringe at the thought… but I found out that wrapping my hair around my robe tie and sleeping with it that I wake to lovely waves the next morning … its dumb but its effortless (takes less than 5 min) and so comfortable for anyone interested in being lazy and making your man Think your trying hahahaha…. Youtube Robe Curls for demo (a long sock works great as well)  IDK why I am sharing, it seems so dumb, but it makes me feel better about myself even if I am in yoga pants and a stained t-shirt, I am like but my hair is curled sooo I am pretty today..  hahahaha

• brenda-denzler

January 12, 2023 at 6:37 am

Thanks for the life hack, KY. My hair has always been frizzy and wavy. The wavy is fine, but the frizzy has been a lifelong battle. When COVID hit, I grew my hair out, so now it’s very gray, pretty long (for me), and still frizzy! If I don’t do something with it, I look like Grandmama on The Addams Family. 🙂

I’ve been thinking of something like the robe curl thing, because on the underside, where my hair brushes up against whatever top I’m wearing, it tends to form itself into lovely ringlet curls. Top side won’t do that, though! So I was thinking about how to “encourage” it. The robe curl idea is a great one and I’ll try it out!

• jen-cueva

January 13, 2023 at 1:00 pm

Yes, @kygon, maybe you will keep bugging me to do that. I know Cabo is a short flight from San Diego. I love sea turtles and always have. One of my friends here just renewed her passport and said I need to get mine, so I’m ready if we have a girls’ trip. Now. I am wondering how Manny will freak about that, LOL.

My hair is so far from curly. But sounds like a cool hack. I like simple ways to make myself look better. I’m lazy with those things, or it takes too much energy. I’m glad that Brenda, and I bet a few others will find that helpful.

• Randolph Reynolds

January 12, 2023 at 2:47 pm

Lessons learned from 2022 begin with being grateful that I emerged from it without any downgrading of my health.  Last year presented my wife and me with difficulties.  My wife spent six weeks recovering from a fall that put a hairline fracture in her pelvis.  The generosity of friends helped me as my challenge was to take care of her with my limitations.  Just before Christmas she was hit by Covid and we had to stay somewhat separated.  After taking Paxlovd she had a rebound but was asymptomatic. She was worried that I would come down with Covid but that didn’t happen.  She tested negative on Christmas Day.  Our son and his wife had arrived the day she had ended her quarantine.  That saved Christmas.

At the end of October I contracted double pneumonia and was in bad shape.  My seven-day stay in the hospital was a nightmare for reasons I can skip.  Suffice to say no one on the staff had any notion of what PAH was and that complicated my treatment.  I completely recovered so considering how dangerous a situation I’d experienced I could say I was blessed.  On the 20<sup>th</sup> of December I went through a right heart catheterization that indicated my heart pressures were not worse – at least better than six years ago.

Those are the reasons that I am glad to leave 2022 behind.  What might happen in this year is something I am not anxious about because it is out of my hands.  So far with help the management of my PAH keeps working.  The routine of it can be depressing but better than any alternative.  I just hope that noting puts my friends out of action.  I pray that as a nation we’ll not let some of the political insanity drive our ship of state onto the rocks.  2023 is the year of the Rabbit.  So was the year my wife was born thus she is only 7 years (times twelve) old.

• brenda-denzler

January 12, 2023 at 3:47 pm

Re: the political insanity, Randolph, yes. My stomach clutches up with fear.

• Colleen

January 12, 2023 at 7:42 pm

@ripple76 thank you for sharing your reflection on this past year with us. 2022 put you and your wide through a lot! Wishing you a happy and healthy year of the rabbit! Wouldn’t it be nice if this is the year our country starts to restore itself? I’m afraid I’m not feeling real hopeful about that though.

• jen-cueva

January 13, 2023 at 1:06 pm

Hi @ripple76, you and your wife are blessed to come from such a year of medical setbacks. I’m so thankful to hear that even with your pneumonia, your pressures are not worse. I was worried that would set you back more.

Thank you so much for sharing your reflections; despite the struggle, you are still grateful and have some hope.

Yes, that would be incredible if our county could start restoring this year. It may take longer than a year, so a start is a positive move.

Take care of yourself, and let’s do our best to make the best of what we have. I’m grateful that you all made it another year, too.

• jen-cueva

January 17, 2023 at 10:21 am

Hey @ripple76, how are you and your lovely wife faring so far in 2023? I have you both on my mind and thought I would check with you.

• Randolph Reynolds

January 18, 2023 at 3:17 pm

Hi Jen

After my adventures in the hospitals in November and December both of us have been doing fine.  There some exceptions but for some unknown reason I have felt an uneasiness about this coming year.  As I reported several days ago I’m back on track, so to speak, with the management of my disease.  I met with my Palliative Care Counselor yesterday and we discussed my emotional status and what I might do about it.  The traits that have served me so well, including managing my care, are also traits that have been born from controlling my emotions over these many years.  Somehow I have to ease off on my self condemnation when things don’t go well.  There is a good article about growing older in todays WSJ: Old Age Is Like a Debenture that speaks to what we do with the time we have left.  I have to be innovative so I’m trying to cobble together another book.

Just got back from having lunch with a friend. I keep myself in the loop and I feel better for it.  Just Milliscent and me dotting in and out.  Something unique about us around here.

Thanks for asking.

• jen-cueva

January 20, 2023 at 12:39 pm

Hi @ripple76, I’m grateful you are both doing fine after a busy year! Whew, I bet you both said that a few times last year.

Thanks for sharing that excellent yet thought-provoking article. As I’ve mentioned, every birthday has been a “bonus birthday” after making it past the 5-year mark with PH. I’m almost 50, but we never know when we may be called.

I love so many of the quotes from this one. It’s true; we must tend to our garden. Planning is something I did well until the last few years. That is something I’ve often let slide through the cracks.

Several friends and family members want me to write a book. But I don’t have enough to say that others can relate. What topic do you think you’ll write about next? Growing older with a rare disease and coexisting illnesses and how this relates to your older days as a fighter pilot.

You’re such a fantastic soul full of inspiration, my PHriend. All my best to you and your wife as you grow old together. Take care.

• Colleen

January 23, 2023 at 1:41 pm

@ripple76 thank you do much for sharing that article! It has given me an idea for a column. I’m going to email you with a few questions about it.`

I do hope you will share your next book with us when it is published! In another post we have been talking about books we have recently read. Have you read any good books lately that you would like to share with us?