Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Medications for anxiety/depression

• Medications for anxiety/depression

Posted by Brittany Foster on March 15, 2019 at 5:07 pm

It has been a rough month to say the least. I know we talk a lot on here openly about medications that we are on for our PH and our medical conditions. I find it helpful to hear of stories of success on medications for anxiety and depression too. With so much going on, I have decided to start back on a small dose of an antidepressant and anti anxiety medication especially for right before my surgery. I have tried different ones in the past that I had adverse reactions to and have been hesitant to try any new ones. I have just started on Prozac 10mg and am just taking it once a day for right now.

Sometimes I fear that with medications for anxiety and depression, I will become dependent on them and it will be hard to get off of them. But then when I stop to think about it, I take all my medications for my heart, lungs, and physical problems daily and regularly and dependent on those, so where does all the stigma around medications for mental illness come from?

This is a safe space to share if you are on medications for anxiety/depression and I am interested in knowing what medications or combinations of medications are working for you or have worked for you in the past and what has your experience been like? What advice would you give to me or anyone just starting to take medication for their mental health?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • denny

March 19, 2019 at 11:34 am

My Palliative Care and my Primary DRS. have given me oxycodone 2.5 mgs. at hours of sleep and prn as needed .

At my age and current level of health addition is not a problem , being relaxed is the only goal .
    It works .
    denny

• Brittany Foster

March 19, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Hi Denny,
      I am currently on that too as I am waiting for my surgery. It’s just unfair to us to have to live in pain when pain causes added anxiety and stress to our bodies that are already fighting so hard. Nobody should have to suffer!