• jen-cueva

May 24, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Yes, well written and great information!
    This should be a top priority for all of us!

Thanks Colleen.

• jimi-mcintosh

May 29, 2019 at 8:11 am

I check medication web sites, ask
    My pharmacist, read the labels. If still uncertain , call my doctor

• brittany-foster

May 29, 2019 at 9:25 am

My pharmacist has been such a huge help with all of the medications. Especially the possible interactions between the medications that doctors may or may not (usually they don’t in my experience) catch. It is always best to ask for their opinions and get their input into different symptoms especially ones that are a rare complication or side effect. I had this experience when taking a SSRI medication for anxiety plus beta blockers.

• jen-cueva

May 29, 2019 at 9:07 pm

Brittany , I find that my Pharmacist as well as the Specialty Pharmacy Pharmacist can both be very helpful with catching any interactions. I know often the doctors forget and may not be aware of some interactions. I’m glad you’ve found them helpful for you as well.

• margie-novak

May 29, 2019 at 5:33 pm

Lucky for me I have three relatives who are I the medical profession that I can ask. My sister is a pharmacist so that is really good. And, yes, I do take over the counter drugs nothing major (aspirin, sleep aide) and I never ask the doctor. I know that is probably bad but I feel he has more important things to do than deal with my OTC medicine! But, as mentioned I am pretty well covered if I am taking something I shouldn’t.

• jen-cueva

May 29, 2019 at 9:10 pm

Margie, Colleen makes a great point, your doctors would most likely want to be aware of all of your meds. I understand you have many medical professionals to help but there may be something in your chart and your condition that they may not be aware of such as test results, etc which your doctor is aware of.

• Colleen

May 29, 2019 at 5:48 pm

As Brittany and Jimi mentioned, pharmacists are a good go to person if you have questions about an over the counter medication. Margie,you are fortunate to have relatives in the medical field who can also help you, that’s great! I can understand about your not wanting to bother your doctor with over the counter medication questions but I do think they would rather you ask then take a risk. For example, post transplant my son can’t take ibuprofen and recently, out of desperation, I double checked with his doctor about cough medicine. They where glad I double checked and had no problem enforcing the answer of, “No”. It’s sounds like we all are doing what we need to in order to make sure that we are taking, even if it’s over the counter, is safe for us.

• jen-cueva

May 29, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Colleen, yes, double checking on those meds and I’m sure pre and post transplant, certain meds have been added and/or changed quite a bit! Anytime we have a change in our medical status and a change or increase in meds, etc., double checking is the safest thing to do.

You’re an awesome caregiver ! Your son is fortunate to have you .

• Colleen

May 30, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Thank you @jenc, I am lucky to have him. He’s a great young man and an inspiration to me.