• Posted by Michelle on December 20, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Dear all,

Just to recap…I had percutaneous ASD closure Dec 6 with an Amplatzer closure device. The 3cm hole hadn’t been picked up during my adult life until now. A TTE/TOE & heart MRI also confirmed right heart dilatation with raised pulmonary pressures which I’m surmising is a diagnosis of PAH?

I’ve also had a pacemaker inserted Dec 12 for bradycardia/standstill due to 2:1 Mobitz II heart block.

I’ve been to see the cardiologist dealing with the electrical problems with my heart to have the position of my pacemaker checked this am. I stressed to him several times how breathless I felt. I told him in earnest that I feel like I’ve aged 30 years in two weeks.

He checked my ankles for oedema, sounded my chest, checked jugular venous pressures as well as blood pressure, heart rate and oxygen saturations and all were unremarkable. Pardon my ignorance regarding pulmonary hypertension, but am I safe to assume in the absence of yielding a normal examination, that I no longer have it?

I have to return to clinic Jan 7 & staff will perform a TTE if I still remain breathless. At least I’m fairly certain that I shouldn’t have a pulmonary embolism as I’m on dual antiplatlet therapy.

Any comments of help or advice would be sincerely valued. I’m so very new to all of this.

Kind regards,

Michelle

Randolph Reynolds replied 5 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

December 20, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Hi Michelle,
    If you are still experiencing symptoms I would definitely stress this at your next appointment. Are you experiencing the symptoms more on exertion or is it sitting still too? I’m asking because I had something called an exercise right heart cath (Level 4 stress test with right heart cath) to diagnose my PH. If they suspect anything on TEE (or not) I would still request a right heart cath or at least bring this up to your doctors. This is the gold standard for diagnosis of PH and will give the doctors a better idea of why you are experiencing the symptoms. Before your appointment definitely make note of when the symptoms and what you are feeling is worse. If you find that it gets worse with increased activity, see if it is possible to do the exercise portion of the heart cath. Please keep us updated ! I hope you can get some answers and a treatment plan in the coming new year ! I’ll remain hopeful for you!

• Randolph Reynolds

December 22, 2018 at 10:05 am

Yes
    PAH and I am on Remodulin and Adempas. Living with side effects. Still learning how to use this discussion group.

Have a good Christmas