Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Patients’ Emotional Well-Being Not Solely Determined by PH Severity

• Patients’ Emotional Well-Being Not Solely Determined by PH Severity

Posted by pulmonary-hypertension-news-moderator on August 6, 2018 at 7:53 am

The emotional well-being of people with pulmonary hypertension (PH), particularly in relation to levels of anxiety and depression, may be better explained by taking into account their life circumstances and not the severity of their disease alone, a study reports.

Evidence of depression and anxiety in patients with varying levels of disease severity suggesting there is no perfect link between PH and these comorbidities, and that other factors might be at play in their emotional well-being. Click here to read more.

How’s your mental health doing? Are you dealing with anxiety, depression or anything else? How does living with PH affect your mental health, and how are you dealing with it?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • randolph-reynolds

August 7, 2018 at 10:22 am

This is a major factor for me. I was beginning to get a handle on my depression and anxiety attacks about the time my PAH (CTEPH) was diagnosed. When ever some new medical issue comes along (like an addition medication that has more side effects – Remodulin) my anxiety about every day things increases. If the PAH issues were less I would still have some depression. A tough cycle to live with but I have good support at home. Most others have no idea what is the severity of this disease. Even I get into denial about it.

• brittany-foster

August 7, 2018 at 10:28 am

Hi Randolph,
      Even talking about this topic shows that you must have good support and really shows your strength in being vulnerable. The best thing I can do when this happens is get all these feelings out somehow and I allow myself time to cry, feel anyry, disappointed, etc. I find it is always worse when I try to push these emotions to the side. Convincing myself and others I’m “fine” just isn’t realistic. I’m glad you have good support. I feel the exact same way you do. My depression is increased so much with bad test results, bad news, and it can feel very overwhelming when some new symptom comes along or if I have a bad flare up of other conditions on top of trying to manage this one that is time consuming and my main focus. I completely get it. Hugs to you, thank you for your honesty. There’s so much strength in that.