• Pet Therapy

Posted by Colleen on May 9, 2019 at 1:00 am

We promised our son that he could adopt a dog of his own after transplant. Attached is a picture of him with that special fur ball on their way home from the shelter 5 years ago. Mellow loves her family but she has a very special bond with Cullen. She is not a trained service dog but from the moment they met she seemed to instinctively know that this boy needed her in a special way.  More so than any therapy, medications or friends, this dog has comforted and supported my son like none other. Do you have a pet or service animal that you rely on for emotional support? Have you had a therapy dog visit you in the hospital and if so, what effect did that have on you?

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

May 9, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Aww Mellow and Cullen look like they were best buddies fast! We have a mini schnauzer, Sasha and she’s my nap buddy. She seems to always know when I’m feeling bad and wants to be right next to me. Otherwise, she’s on top of my hubby when he’s home, lol

She’s definitely a comfort and I do believe that pets can lower blood pressure and help with anxiety. I’m going to try and post her pic here .
    http://oi65.tinypic.com/14x035x.jpg

I have never had a pet therapy visit myself but when I worked I saw pet therapy used in hospitals and nursing homes. The patients always loved them.

• Colleen

May 9, 2019 at 6:58 pm

Jen, your Sasha is adorable! My son has had therapy dog’s visit in the hospital many times. No matter how he is feeling or what kind of day he has had, when asked if he would like some furry friend to visit, he never turns it down. I know not everyone is a dog person but for those who are, my guess is that this kind of therapy is a big welcome. Definitely helps with blood pressure, as you mentioned. I’m so glad you have a special companion too! Thanks for sharing!

• jen-cueva

May 9, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Thanks Colleen! Yes, pet therapy is often well received unless like you said they are not pet lovers. Most enjoy the pet costs and helps to put a smile on their day. Sasha definitely does for me.

So glad Cullen and Mellow share that bond and I’m sure that’s been a big part in his post transplant recovery.