• Thanksgiving Meal and Salt Intake

Posted by Brittany Foster on November 15, 2018 at 12:04 pm

In the United States, it is Thanksgiving next week already! I find holidays to be fun but stressful at the same time. It’s difficult when trying to manage a chronic illness and enjoy myself too. I don’t host Thanksgiving (not sure if I would ever be up to this task because of all the running around and preparing I see my own mom do for it).

I remind myself to still take care of myself during the holiday. It can be hard to find something that I can eat without having so much bloat after it. I bloat very easily especially when the food has a lot of salt in it (most Thanksgiving food does). If salt is a problem for you, I would suggest making something for yourself beforehand or making a dish that you know you can eat that isn’t prepared with too much salt. I know some PHers are strict about their salt intake and can’t just have the food everyone else is having.

What do you do for Thanksgiving meal if you have dietary restrictions, especially a salt restriction? Do you make something for yourself beforehand so you know how it’s prepared? Are you able to eat what everyone else is on Thanksgiving?

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Stephannie Baker

December 4, 2018 at 10:56 pm

I guess you make things separately for you. I mean, I would not want my family to not have food with the amount of salt that is usually used for Thanksgivings. So I just end up making something else for me and I am okay with it. Doesn’t really bother me though. Hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving as well

• Brittany Foster

December 5, 2018 at 10:36 am

Hi Stephannie,
      Usually my family is good about making side dishes for me (my mom especially is good about this) . The salt really effects me (even as small amount) and I end up getting swollen easily, especially in my hands. I unfortunately missed out on Thanksgiving this year because I was in the hospital for 9 days (one of those days being Thanksgiving) . I hope to make up for missing out with the upcoming Christmas holiday !

• jen-cueva

November 22, 2022 at 12:46 pm

Although this is an older post, I wanted to share it again. This is a low-sodium stuffing recipe that looks delicious.

Low Sodium Stuffing

Here’s another link that offers several traditional Thanksgiving recipes that are lower in sodium.

Complete Low Sodium Thanksgiving

Do you tend to watch your sodium during these holiday gatherings? Or do you eat in moderation and deal with it later, if needed?

Have you tweaked any of your favorite Thanksgiving recipes to lower sodium versions?