Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Top Foods That Help You Feel Well?

• Top Foods That Help You Feel Well?

Posted by brittany-foster on March 4, 2020 at 3:28 pm

I don’t want to use the word “prevent” because for many of us, we can eat all the great foods that we want but we still end up feeling sick and catching illnesses either way!

Nutrition really can be a powerful source of healing or helping to fight off infection though. What are some of your go to foods to stock up on when you feel like you are getting sick? What are some foods you include in your diet more on an every day basis as a preventative (or something that will hopefully make sickness not feel so bad)?

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • jen-cueva

March 5, 2020 at 10:56 am

Great topic, @brittany-foster. I like to drink smoothies and juices to increase my fruit and veggie consumption. I have tried turmeric shots and teas, not my favorite. I have tried and try to keep elderberry teas on hand. When I feel like I may be catching something, a scratchy throat etc.. Gypsy something is one brand and Yogi has one, too. I love garlic, so I eat it all of the time, but it has immune-boosting powers, too.

I found this article with a few tips on immune-boosting foods. Lately, I have been eating mostly soups, smoothies, and juices.

• brittany-foster

March 5, 2020 at 10:58 am

@jenc Thank you for sharing this article and the link! I know it will help others if they view that too. I like garlic in my foods too but it actually gives me really bad heartburn (and gas LOL) Not sure if that causes that problem for others too. But I do try to boost my smoothies with good nutrients even though it is hard for me to consume a lot of it. Hoping that changes for me soon though!

• Colleen

March 5, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Great link @jenc. Thank you for sharing.

• cynthia

March 6, 2020 at 12:24 am

Hi all, love this topic, because I love to cook. The right foods I believe are helping me to stay healthy. I pay close attention to what foods have what effect and keep a food diary. With that said, meals with lot’s of fruit and vegetables, organic, provide you with antioxidants which are anti-inflammatory. I do a detox 4x/year, and intermittent fasting. I alternate meat and vegie days, if I eat a chicken/fish one day the next day it’s a big vegie meal. This creates less bloating and less pressure on my diaphram, so I can breathe better. I use lot’s of fresh herbs, limit white flour, white potatoes and minimal sugar. My weakness fresh cut french fries, I cheat once a month. Fresh lime/lemon in warm water in the morning gives a good flush, to decrease the mucous buildup. I use to juice weekly, but the machine is to heavy, so I use the Vitamix. I could go on and on, but don’t want to bore you guys, lol

• brittany-foster

March 6, 2020 at 11:45 am

@cynthia-winston you definitely wouldn’t be boring us at all! I know there are so many people that are interested in the benefits of proper nutrition and the healing foods that you are talking about. Especially the ones with anti-inflammatory components to them. It is so important to create a good and healthy environment for the gut. Gut health is very much an influence of our overall well being.

• Colleen

March 6, 2020 at 2:43 pm

@cynthia-winston please, this is what these forums are for! You will not be boring us. Please continue and share more cooking suggestions! I’m taking notes!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 6, 2020 at 4:39 pm

For me personally I feel a lot better when I can eat good food. Such as fruit and vegetables and low fat meats. I always have more energy and look better when eating properly. But unfortunately I can’t afford it. Food is so expensive. A lot of food that I eat contain tons of salt, so I normally have to eat half of it (and always feel hungry) or not eat at all. But I can always afford bananas and I eat them everyday and I noticed my Potassium levels have improved. I no longer have to take Potassium pills! So that’s a good thing! I do try to cook and eat as best I can but it’s hard. And I appreciate the free food churches hand out or food programs, Meals on Wheels but they are also high sodium. I can’t handle high sodium at all , it swells me right up . It’s funny because before I became sick I never gave nutrition much thought and I could afford to eat better when I was working. Now I am sick and I need to eat better and I can’t afford it! Life always surprises me!

• cynthia

March 7, 2020 at 1:06 am

I’ll keep it coming! @shannon4jk The first step is to think abundance and then what you need will come. For example, you are getting food from the food banks, they have many that have organic produce. Processed foods will steal your life, and we don’t need anymore help with our fight. I love gardening, but now I just do it in pots with help. I know most days I’m exhausted, but then I remember where I was and get up and do something! I shop all my local stores for the sales, then I buy avocados, apples, oranges, mangos, usually for $1.00 or less. Avocados gives you the essential fatty acids your cells need, so when you make new cells they have proper nutrient. I know how it feels to have a minimal income, especially when you have worked all your life. I was blessed, beyond measure friends and family jumped in and made up the difference, I am so grateful. It helped me to focus on getting betting, and that was dependent on ME and only me. So, I always ate pretty good, but now it’s even more important because your body is fighting for you. So we have to make an extra effort. Sodium, will destroy your kidneys and they are fighting to keep the fluid and toxins out the body, so you are actually self-sabotaging yourself. Just use all the fruit and vegies they hand out, wash with baking soda soak. Sometimes you can go to bulk stores and get just $1.00 of things, so go get chia seeds, mix with seed milk, and make chia puddings, healthy for you. Take 2 days a week and do fruit and vegies, no sugar, see how you feel. This PAH has been the worse and best thing for me, but I am not who I was, and I’m better in every way. You will be just fine, we all will!

• jen-cueva

March 8, 2020 at 4:44 pm

Hey @brittany-foster, I never thought about garlic as giving me gas but I do have indigestion and gas often. Hehe, Maybe this is linked to my garlic consumption.

I bet trying to boost your immunity is tough with the food that you can tolerate. I do try to drink juices and smoothies when my appetite is poor, which has been off and on since PH. Adding extra immune-boosting fruits and veggies to my smoothies, help.

• jen-cueva

March 8, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Wow, @cynthia-winston, great feedback! First of all, I love lemon water. I drink hot teas and/or lemon waters often. I have never really done a detox or fasting as I was told not to by my PH team. I do know others who have done them and as you say, they say it helps with bloat and breathing.

One PH friend is Pescatarian and she has seen great results for her health with her diet, too. I do eat primarily chicken and seafood as far as meat. But, I do eat a good burger or a few bites of my hubby’s steak at times. I prefer eating fruits and veggies over meats. I have low iron, so they try to have me eat some meats for that reason, too.;

I think that finding what helps our bodies is key. It sounds like you have done that! Kudos, share anytime. We like to cook and eat around here, Hehe

• jen-cueva

March 8, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Hey @shannon4jk, I can understand your struggles with buying good foods. I am not sure which state you live in, sorry, CRS. But, Aldi here offers cheaper produce and meats, too. They also offer low sodium canned beans, which help as a filler, too.

Great job on no more potassium pills! I hope that you can continue this new interest in watching the foods that you eat. As I mentioned, I try and eat healthier most days. But, some days, I do give in and eat crap, I most often always pay for it.

If you like, I can send you a link to Aldi to see if there is one in your area. I do know they take EBT cards or food assistance cards. One of my PH friends in NY uses hers there and gets more food for her allowed amount.

• daniel-j

March 19, 2020 at 3:27 am

I love the balance in food. Fruits, vegetables and meat with minimal fat content. My main diet of meat is chicken breasts with a lot of protein and energy. If you add a workout several times a week and a good time to sleep, I feel great.

• brittany-foster

March 19, 2020 at 3:34 pm

@daniel-j I think it’s so great that you are making eating well as part of your every day diet. It’s important because there are foods that we can eat that can better help our bodies repair and recover. Foods also are helpful in bringing up the immune system and I know everyone is probably looking for ways to build that up right now. I always find it easier to fall asleep after I have done some exercise activity during the day. Does working out help with your sleep?

• jen-cueva

March 19, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Hi @daniel-j, it sounds like you are doing well with balancing your food and exercise. I most often eat chicken and seafood, limiting red meat. I love vegetables, so that is a plus. I could survive on mostly vegetables on most days.

What types of workout do you do? I do yoga and stretches several times per week.