• Posted by brenda-denzler on July 26, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Well, the thing that got me finally on the road to a possible PH diagnosis was a bad, BAD “spell” that I had last fall when visiting friends and I went to the Appalachian Mountains to see the pretty colors. In order to figure out whether I have problems with the thinner air at higher elevations or not, I went up to the mountains again today. The answer is: yes, but how severe the problem is depends on how exhausted I am going into the experience.

I began feeling like I was breathing faster and my chest was getting tight as we got into the foothills. I figured it could have been psychological–anxiety as we got closer to the place where I began having problems last fall.

However, we stopped at Blowing Rock and walked around a bit. It was very clear that just getting out of the car made me pant and my heart race. When we walked around, it was worse. There was never a point at which I was breathing normally.

Then we went up another 2000 feet in elevation. I could feel myself getting light-headed, but not dangerously so. I thought. (I was driving, so had to do some hard reckoning.) I was OK as long as I stayed sitting in the car, but I was sure that it would be very, very difficult to get out and walk around, so I didn’t try.

So this unofficial “diagnostic” trip to the mountains said, “yes, breathing problems at higher elevations, the severity of which seems to depend on exhaustion level going into it.”

jen-cueva replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Colleen

July 26, 2022 at 9:21 pm

@brendad53 I’m sorry that your theory has proven to be true but also proud of you for testing yourself but not too far. Sometimes we have to do things like that in order to better advocate for ourselves. I hope you still enjoyed the view from the car!

• brenda-denzler

July 26, 2022 at 9:23 pm

We drove along several miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some lovely, lovely views from there, but I was concentrating on driving and couldn’t play the tourist too much. What I saw was nice. But in the fall when the leaves are red and orange and yellow and there’s plenty of evergreen still at work, it’s positively stunning!

• Colleen

July 26, 2022 at 9:26 pm

@brendad53 I can just picture it! Autumn is my favorite season.

• jen-cueva

July 27, 2022 at 12:59 pm

Oh no, @brendad53, I’m sorry that this was true, and you do have problems breathing at higher elevations. Thank God you didn’t push yourself too much. But now you have more notes to add to your notebook for the team in Boston in October.

When I’m exhausted, the symptoms are exacerbated with all of my PH symptoms, so that is what you experienced, too. Stress, altitude, weather, medications, and other coexisting illnesses, all affect my symptoms.

I hope you’re resting with Maggie Mae the rest of the week, my PHriend. I can’t wait for you to get some much-needed answers.

• jen-cueva

July 28, 2022 at 11:28 am

Hi @brendad53, how are you feeling after having a few days back at home? I’ve noticed altitude problems; I often struggle a few days after returning home. Others do better as soon as they are at a lower level. It all depends on our bodies.

On the last trip to a higher elevation of 4500 feet, I did better, but I kept my oxygen all the time, and it seemed like I did better by the following day. I did have many of the same symptoms. My heart races, palpitations increase, chest tightness, lightheadedness, and nausea are some of what I experience.

• brenda-denzler

July 28, 2022 at 5:37 pm

Well, my pup and I both rested a lot yesterday. I actually took a nap when I felt tired in the afternoon. 🙂

Your symptoms with elevation are interesting. The lightheadedness. I noticed it more up at elevations than I usually do when I have “spells” here at my normal altitude. But chest tightness? Yup. No matter the altitude. Not usually a lot of nausea, but then again I get that with alpha gal as a reaction. So who can tell what might be causing it? Never figure PH could do so.

I will say that I felt kinda poo-ey yesterday. Migraine and general “bleh.”

I was out in the heat and humidity today, playing grandma. It was one of those days that kinda evolved in directions I didn’t anticipate, and I kept saying “yes” to each small change, until they mounted up to a big change in what I did today. Now I’m sitting back and resting for the evening. But the grands will be coming out tomorrow afternoon and staying overnight, so trying to quickly store up some more energy!

Note: I did mail in my handicapped hang tag application and fee today.

• jen-cueva

July 29, 2022 at 11:05 am

Oh wow, it sounds like such a busy week, @brendad53. Please do enjoy the grands but also rest when you can. How old are they? Hopefully, they can do much on their own.

Oh yeah, the art of saying no and setting boundaries has been a significant hurdle for me and is still a work in progress. But I am improving for the most part. It helps that I am not near my extended family, etc. But I also miss them.

You and Maggie Mae will hopefully both rest on Sunday when the grands go home. Whatever they mess up, leave it and get to it later. You’ll both be exhausted, I bet.

WTG on mailing in your accessible parking application and fee. You’re making strides, my PHriend.You’ll probably need big hugs and tossing in a few extra “spoons” that you’ll need this weekend.

• jen-cueva

April 17, 2023 at 1:23 pm

Hey @brooklyn, this is another topic about traveling to higher elevations that member Brenda started when she first joined us here.