• What Are Some Travel Tips for Bus Travel?

Posted by brittany-foster on January 6, 2020 at 8:53 am

This week I am heading to Philadelphia to go to a meeting for work. The bus ride from my town to Philly is about 6 hours or so. So far I am staying busy by being on my computer but can’t help thinking that I forgot some essentials with me !

This is my first time traveling alone so I guess you could say this is a rookie mistake LOL! I forgot to pack myself some snacks. Luckily we have a good 45 minute layover before we get the next bus so hoping they have some coffee or snacks that I can get quick. I also forgot to bring some form of hand sanitizer. It might just be the paranoid part of me, but on the bus a few people are coughing and I am NOT well protected at all. The bus is also really hot and this type of stuffy environment just doesn’t help my breathing. I wish there was a window to crack or something but I feel like I would freeze everyone else out of the bus.

For me, it is better to take the bus vs flying to Philly. The flight is only less than 2 hours away but it is a LOT of work to get my oxygen and bags onto the plane and go through the security. With some people heading off to vacation or going back to college usually it is a pretty busy time for airports.

Any travel tips you have when travelling on a bus for at least a few hours? Do you take public transportation like buses and how do you protect yourself on them from all the germs and stale air?

margie-novak replied 4 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • rockefeline-denis

January 7, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience, Brittany. I will better plan my trip to New York by train. How did you manage to breathe properly with all these close widows?

• brittany-foster

January 7, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Not being able to open a window and having that fresh air really was hard. Even though it was a pain to have a layover and period of time in between two of the buses, it actually ended up helping because I was able to recharge with some electrolytes and food and also was able to stretch my legs even if it was just for the half hour! I would suggest possibly seeing if the bus makes a stop. AND bringing oxygen if you have it. That helped with it being harder to breathe.

• rockefeline-denis

January 7, 2020 at 4:27 pm

Thank you for the advice. I’ll see with my pulmonologist.

• brittany-foster

January 8, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Yes, definitely check with your doctors about their suggestions for travel too! I am sure they will be full of some helpful tips and can help you make any travel experience as successful as possible. Also, checking with my doctors beforehand helps to relieve that travel anxiety !

• rockefeline-denis

January 8, 2020 at 4:23 pm

Thank you Brittany. That was very helpful.

• margie-novak

January 15, 2020 at 11:50 pm

Brittany I can hardly wait to read a reply on how it went when you either get to Philly or return. I have a sister there and would love to visit her (only 5 hours for me) but my doctor doesn’t recommend it even if I am being driven. She tells me “you never know what can happen”. My sister even tells her we would stop (to avoid clots). I have to take my “E” tanks with me and the company I use said the would set up some concentrators and such at my sister with 2 weeks notice but still a no go. When winter is over I would really like to go though. I love to visit family. I wish you luck and again, keep us posted. Enjoy your trip…. be safe!

• brittany-foster

January 16, 2020 at 12:49 pm

@margie-novak thank you so much! It actually really ended up going okay! Aside from the GI issues that I had while there (which I have even when I’m home). The bus travel was a little difficult because it wasn’t a non stop bus ride. I am sure there may be some stations that are non stop from Philly to wherever without a layover, but from Providence this wasn’t the case for me. Next time I think I will look into going by train because I think it will cut some of the time down and hopefully will not have many stops in between. It was just hard on my body to be on the bus for more than 6 hours. I felt really sore and exhausted when I got off of it. But the city was amazing and I LOVED walking around and seeing so much.

• margie-novak

January 17, 2020 at 4:13 pm

Brittany I hope you can answer this question for me…. I read an article regarding PH and how PH warriors are worried about dying and how people say to them that “we are all dying” and how there is a difference in having a chronic illness and being worried about death and being healthy and thinking about it. Do you recall such an article or am I imagining it? It may have been something I read In The Mighty that a subscribe to. If you can let me know I would appreciate it. thanks