Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What do you enjoy doing for YOURSELF?

• What do you enjoy doing for YOURSELF?

Posted by Brittany Foster on September 25, 2019 at 9:01 am

We all need a break from reality sometimes and a day to just unwind and have some time for US. I don’t take these days too often where I’m just doing something for ME without friends, family, or my boyfriend. Today, I am FINALLY getting my haircut and colored again after almost a full year without any cut or color. I am really excited and it feels like it is much deserved. I usually LOVE getting myself to the hairdresser every few months and it’s a way that I can pamper myself, still feel like a “normal” human and actually have a moment of feeling good about how I look and feel. It just changes my vibe and makes my day a lot better.

I feel like doing something like this whether it’s getting a massage for yourself, getting your nails done, hair done, or doing SOMETHING that just involves YOU can be so beneficial to your mental health and peace of mind.

What types of things do you enjoy doing for YOU? How does this impact your mental health and overall physical and emotional healing?

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • Beth Tebaldi

September 25, 2019 at 12:08 pm

Oh my favorite subject…ME! … just kidding πŸ™‚
    Oh I love cooking when I can by myself. By myself-reading or listening to audible books. Audible is usually on everyday and I do so enjoy it.
    β€” getting my hair-cut and colored also. When I’m up for it I like going to a grocery store at leisure and pick up the ingredients for that nights meal, get myself a decaf at Starbucks in the store and go home to cook it. I really like that time.

• Brittany Foster

September 25, 2019 at 12:10 pm

I love going out for little coffee stops by myself too. Not really a huge fam of grocery shopping but I do like going WITH someone, just not alone because it is hard for me to carry everything and load things into my car. But I do enjoy cooking and baking and it can be a real stress relief for me!

• jen-cueva

September 25, 2019 at 4:30 pm

Great topic, Brittany. I am so happy that you were finally able to get your hair colored and cut. It looks gorgeous. I know it will help you feel better , even if you wear your PJs and rock it. Hehe

I also love to get my hair cut and colored. I also love coffee dates , alone or with a friend, my daughter, or my hubby. I also like getting pedicures but I do not do those as often. I like drives by myself when I am feeling up to it. I do not like eating by myself, so I do not usual do that. Is that odd?

@tonysnug, you made me laugh…my favorite subject, β€œme” LOL Love that…

• Brittany Foster

September 25, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Love it!!! Hearing about what everyone enjoys doing for them is great! We all have to be better at doing more for ourselves too! At least that’s how I feel anyways! TREAT YOSELF!

• jen-cueva

September 25, 2019 at 6:19 pm

So true, Brittany! These things are so important. I love litt, e treats, too. Like a coffee, froyo, or anything pretty much.

• Brittany Foster

September 26, 2019 at 8:16 am

Jen,
        I think we are soulmates hahaha! coffee and froyo are my favorites !! I can actually keep those down for the most part so that’s my “go to!” for a treat!

• jen-cueva

September 26, 2019 at 6:15 pm

Yes, Britt, we must be soulmates, wait, let me tell my Boo, Hehe – maybe we won’t let the guys know. Hehe

Oh man, I already had apple cinnamon pancakes for brunch. Now I suddenly want coffee and lemon cake. This forum talk is certainly starting to entice my tastebuds, lol

• Rockefeline Denis

September 26, 2019 at 10:38 am

Such a great real stories to read about. Thank you for the info on flying. Since I’ve been diagnosed last year with PAH, I’m afraid of flying because the pulmonologist warned me about the altitude and should keep my oxygen on. Glad to read your experience girls.
    On my β€œ me time” I go out dinner with my sisters, go to the beauty salon and have a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Groceries shopping is too much on me. Cannot carry the groceries and because of my Raynaud’s disease my hands just froze up inside Publix, too cold so I stay away.

• Colleen

September 26, 2019 at 2:13 pm

@rockie436 I am a Starbucks addict! It’s my favorite “go-to” when I need a break, which is usually once a day. My favorite drink is hot peppermint mocha’s. What is yours?

• jen-cueva

September 26, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Colleen, do you fuel your Starbucks daily?
        Hope your cough is better today.

My hubby loves their Mocha, we try watching” his ” sugar intake. Lol – if I want sweet and peppermint I get the white chocolate peppermint, mmmm it’s yummy. I do love anything lemon so I often get their lemon loaf.

• Brittany Foster

September 26, 2019 at 2:31 pm

I also have that problem with my hands and feet just getting way too cold especially inside the grocery store and by the frozen food or refrigerated food aisle. It gets to feel like too much work sometimes ! But I am usually the one that does it and it just HAS to be done sometimes so I take my mom with me or my sisters with me to help. There is no way I do it alone unless I am just running in for a few things quickly, but usually that’s not the case. If you ever think about flying with oxygen then definitely let me know. I have been on a few trips with oxygen . There are a few steps to take before getting ready for a trip but in my experience it has been worth it to just TAKE the vacation πŸ™‚ and mmmm I LOVE hot coffee. I have to stick to decaf mostly but I do enjoy my flavored hot coffee when it starts to get cooler out and a hot chai or latte. (even though the caffeine is high it’s one of those things that I just can’t avoid!)

• Rockefeline Denis

September 26, 2019 at 2:17 pm

Colleen,
    It’s always a hot cup of coffee with lemon cake. I’m going to try yours it sounds like a great drink.

• Colleen

September 26, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Their lemon cake is very good. I’ve had that before. I drink the peppermint mocha’s year round. I find it soothing but not everyone is a fan of peppermint.

• Brittany Foster

September 26, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Colleen,
        you’re definitely speaking my language ! It’s funny because every time my mom and I go to an AuBon Pan especially the ones that are in the hospital, she gets me a lemon cake which is one of my all time favorite desserts. I can’t eat much of the cake part but I make sure to take ALL the icing off and enjoy every bit of it ! It’s one of my favorite parts of going to or being in the hospital especially because my mom is so cute and gets so excited to bring it to me after a test or something haha! and the peppermint mocha is another GREAT choice!

• jen-cueva

September 26, 2019 at 6:32 pm

Too funny, when my hubby brings me the lemon loaf, I tend to mostly eat the frosting and give him the cake. My sugar usually find low and we are watching his sugar intake so it’s a win-win situation to share one treat.

This afternoon, he took me to Sprouts, a smaller little market. I like their juices, produce, and made in-store chicken chorizo and other little items.

I read some of you mention you stay cold. I always get cold in stores and restaurants. Mostly my arms, hands, and feet. We always carry a hoodie and small blanket in my Jeep. It’s almost 90 degrees out and I needed the hoodie today, lol
        I know people must think I’m some weirdo lol, well, they tend to think that anyway, with oxygen and stuff at my age. I’m used to stares and glares.

• Brittany Foster

September 27, 2019 at 8:19 am

Jen,
        definitely sounds like a win win situation with the lemon cake! Too funny that you eat the icing part too. It’s my FAVORITE type of cake. I used to LOVE lemon poppyseed muffins until I realized that the seeds gave me a crazy bad stomachache and I couldn’t digest them ! But they were soooo yummy.

Going to the market is definitely a lot harder when you get so cold so easily. And you know what, OWN BEING A WEIRDO hahaha! normal is OVERRATED anyways. I’m right there with you looking like a weirdo, feeling weird and owning it. Just think of me the next time you’re in the market. Or shock everyone and remove your oxygen while people are staring and then dramatically *GASP*. It shocks everyone.

• jen-cueva

September 27, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Haha Brittany, so true, Normal is so overrated! I agree!

I will try that at the store, my hubby usually pulls little shenanigans like that in public, Hehe

• Jimi Mcintosh

September 26, 2019 at 3:57 pm

I was fixing a nice salad, now you got me thinking about a cup of Starbucks with lemon cake, pizza. Growing hair on my bald spot and getting it colored, styled and cut. I work on my old cars, repair my lawn equipment and fix bikes and appliances to donate. I wanted to Learn how to fly, it has to be exciting without TSA.

• jen-cueva

September 26, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Haha- too funny Jimi, you make me laugh. You know we need these laughs and fun times around here.

I’m glad you can keep busy tinkering on things and donating them is a great deed.

• Brittany Foster

September 27, 2019 at 7:54 am

Jimi,
      you just made me laugh out loud! haha! lemon cake and pizza, what a combo !!! maybe not both in the same sitting though, that might not settle so well LOL! Fixing cars sounds like a great thing to do for yourself and probably takes up a ton of your time too. Definitely would keep you busy doing these hands on projects. I know when I do something more hands on I tend to lose track of time and before you know it the day is almost over! I’m not really good for fixer upper projects though, but painting or artwork helps me relieve stress and puts my mind on something else for awhile.

• Brittany Foster

September 25, 2019 at 12:11 pm

That sounds awesome , Kevin! How do you feel with the altitude in the plane? Have you been flying for awhile? And yummy! Pizza sounds delicious right now !

• Colleen

September 25, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Wow @ksmith610! I wasn’t expecting anyone to share something like that! Flying…that is awesome!

• jen-cueva

September 25, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Wow, Kevin, that sounds awesome! Pizza does as well, LOL
    OH geez, now I am hungry, Hehe

I, too and wondering how long you’ve been flying? Also how it affects you, if at all?

My hubby flies remote control planes and helicopters. I have bought him a few of the Discovery flights where it is pretty much training. He loved it and he usually gets to control on the way back. So cool.

I guess our hair appts sound boring, LOL

• Brittany Foster

September 25, 2019 at 6:01 pm

That’s so awesome Kevin and great that you have such a passion for that and are able to enjoy it. I bet the longer flights can get tough though. I have to wear my oxygen on airplanes, not even just for my oxygen levels but it helps my symptoms of dizziness, vertigo, and headaches that I feel while flying. I do really enjoy the takeoff though! I know a lot of people don’t like it but that’s my favorite part. It always amazes me how they can lift off the ground. It feels surreal to think about being in the air!

• jen-cueva

September 25, 2019 at 6:18 pm

Awesome, Kevin! You and my hubby would get along well. He also has a flight simulator program on the desktop. He hasn’t used it as much lately, but last year he had it and hooked it up through our big screen. He was having so much fun until I wanted the tv back, lol

That’s so cool that you’re able to go up and enjoy flying. I enjoy taking off on planes, not so much the landing. Haha

I also use oxygen in flight.

• Colleen

September 26, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Wow Kevin, I’m impressed with your flying experience! I can imagine how satisfying that kind of escape from the human world would be. Thank you for sharing with us. I have enjoyed learning about your unique form of getting away from it all.