Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition What Do You Stock Up On To Get Good Nutrition Post Surgery?

• What Do You Stock Up On To Get Good Nutrition Post Surgery?

Posted by brittany-foster on August 2, 2018 at 1:49 pm

A lot of my posts lately have been about surgery and that’s because it is on my mind. If all goes according to plan, I will be having a surgery to remove my final ovary due to is being trapped in scar tissue and creating cysts that are blood filled and causing fluid in my abdomen. Everyone knows that an important part of any recovery from surgery is good nutrition.

It is especially important to get as much energy as we can to avoid feeling completely wiped out when we are trying to heal our bodies. Our body puts in a lot of extra work every single day as it is with PH and breathing, and when it is trying to heal we need all the vitamins, nutrients, and protein.

I have always found it difficult to eat after a surgery. Whether it is from pain, nausea, or just feeling awful, I tend to lose any appetite for a good week after. Something that I have always stocked up on is protein shakes. I usually get the protein version of Ensure shake because it is able to give me the calories that I need too. Sometimes that taste of Ensure throws me off so I have my mom blend it with some ice, bananas, extra protein powder to make it creamier, and other fruit. I usually live off these for the first few days.

While in the hospital, I make sure to have my parents bring in some protein packed yogurt, nutrition bars, and calorie dense foods like granola. Even if I feel like I can’t eat much, having a small snack that has a good amount of calories and nutrients (but not high in sugar) helps my body work towards healing.

What do you do to make sure you are getting enough nutrients post surgery? Do you have any “go to” foods that you make sure to have stocked prior to a surgery? What types of foods help you with healing and gaining energy during recovery?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • jen-cueva

October 2, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Brittany,
    I know when I can’t eat much, my Daughter would make me smoothies with added protein powder at times and even tofu once, although I told her I tasted something odd in that one, lol

I think as you said, extra protein, boiled eggs, yogurt , shakes, and cheeses. I also like chicken soup full of veggies and garlic, it’s easy to eat. I like whole grain toast with avocado, or whatever you may want.

You had your surgery already, correct ? Sorry, I haven’t been on here in awhile.

• brittany-foster

October 2, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Hi Jen,
      glad to have you back ! and yes, my surgery was 2 weeks ago today. Being in the hospital is always so hard for me to bounce back from physically and emotionally. When I am in the hospital I barely eat anything. I had a laproscopic surgery to remove my remaining ovary and they ended up filling the stomach with co2 to cushion the organs. The gas pain made it so hard to eat pretty much anything for the first 5 days. I am now starting to slowly add things back into my diet because my GI system hates me right now. Shakes and yogurts were the first things that I was able to eat. I mostly got my carbs for the day from oatmeal or dry cereal if I could tolerate it in the morning. Post surgery I always have weird taste aversions too and end up having a craving for something and then when it’s placed in front of me it makes me want to throw up ! The mind probably gets all out of wack post op!

• jen-cueva

October 2, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Hi Brittany,
    So glad you did already have your surgery and sounds like you’re on your recovery phase. Ohh that air must have been awful and definitely would make it hard to eat.

I think for us it’s the usual to take longer to bounce back from anything. I hope you continue to be able to tolerate more food each day and you start to feel a ‘title stronger. Any hospital stay takes a toll on us emotionally and physically so surgery, even more so,. .

Crazy , I think maybe just being in the hospital our minds get all out of whack, lol last year when I was in for weeks, they said I was eating all this junk that I never eat at home, lol
    But when I got home I was cracking veggies and still do…some days I think all of the meds too, really jack with our tastebuds, mine for sure…

So glad to know you’ve come through that surgery and on the road to recovery from that. Take care …

• brittany-foster

October 3, 2018 at 7:14 am

Hey Jen,
      Thank you so much for your kind response and your well wishes ! Recovery is going well besides still having the gas pain and pain under the rib. The breathing has been an issue for me too unfortunately (that’s the last thing we as PHers need !) But they were suspecting the breathing would be difficut post op. I was willing to take my chances given the amount of pain I was in before the surgery. It definitely takes our bodies longer to bounce back. Keeping my mind busy and body moving as much as possible through the day has helped me a lot. I have had a lot of post op appointments or check up appointments this week so going to those and getting myself around independently has been a big confidence booster and a victory for me.

• jen-cueva

October 3, 2018 at 4:23 pm

Hey Brittany,
    Glad you are adjusting and those little victories lead to bigger victories. Those appointments will definitely take it out of you ,

Sorry about the increase in SOB, but thankful you’re not having the pain like pre-surgery. Hopefully all of the gas pains will be resolved soon, that makes it uncomfortable and probably isn’t helping the SOB.

Hope you continue to recover.

• brittany-foster

October 3, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Thank you for your kindness Jen ! And for all of your responses. I love hearing from you! 🙂