Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What Emotional Triggers In Every Day Life Do You Avoid?

• What Emotional Triggers In Every Day Life Do You Avoid?

Posted by Colleen on February 7, 2020 at 1:33 pm

When my son had PH and even now, when he faces challenges post-transplant, I will avoid watching, listening to or reading the news. Years ago I realized when my son was struggling with his health, listening to the burdens of the world overwhelmed me. I care very much about others and the importance of keeping up on current events, but sometimes I need to distance myself from it and focus on what is right in front of me.

Can you relate? What emotional triggers in every day life do you try to avoid when you are going through big struggles with your health or caring for someone who is?

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • brittany-foster

February 7, 2020 at 3:38 pm

Colleen,

Sometimes I have to distance myself from social media. Sometimes my Facebook feed is filled with a lot of negative and I find myself comparing myself to others on Instagram or other people that I see and I think “why am I not more like that?” Comparison really can steal happiness and I do a lot of my comparing online. So when I feel really overwhelmed I take a few days break from that. The added drama just can really get to me.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 7, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Hi. I can understand what your saying Colleen. I feel bad about the worlds problems but I can only handle so much. I try not to watch the news, if so only a few minutes and then I find myself getting agitated, so I quickly turn it off. I have my daughters upcoming pacemaker surgery to a new one and it’s all I can think about right now. I am unable to walk and am still bed ridden, so I am thinking of ways to still support her. And I love social media it has kept me going on many bad days but I also take breaks from it. I love seeing people happy but I catch myself wishing I was them and then it starts to remind me of everything I can no longer do. At this time I also have my phone off. I can’t even handle texting or talking to anyone other then my medical team and my daughter. I just can’t handle the stress and I am in no shape to help anyone out anymore ( mostly meaning my other children). And this has started many arguments. My other children still haven’t realized I am truly sick and won’t be getting any better this time. I find that since my health has declined I can only concentrate on what brings me comfort and peace of mind. At the end of everything, I have to keep my own sanity and do what’s best for me.

• jen-cueva

February 8, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Great topic, @colleensteele, you are certainly not alone. I, like you and @brittany-foster often find that my social media is full of more negative than positive news. It bothers me, that others are suffering all the time. But I find that at times when I already am experiencing tough times myself, It weighs me down more.

That bothers me, but I am learning that it is OK.

• jen-cueva

February 8, 2020 at 5:17 pm

Yes, Brittany! Too often the comparison is what damages our mental health. But, so easy to do with social media, especially when our psyche is already compromised. I recently wrote about taking breaks from social media.

But when I do, I feel guilty that I may miss helping someone. It is a process.????

• jen-cueva

February 8, 2020 at 5:31 pm

Hey @shannon4jk, you have a lot on your plate. This has to be difficult for you. Not only worrying about your daughter’s pacemaker surgery but the turmoil between your children.

I’m proud to see you putting yourself and your health first. Sending you hugs, prayers, and positive vibes.

• brittany-foster

February 10, 2020 at 11:37 am

@shannon4jk I couldn’t agree more! You really do have to do what is best for you and your own peace of mind and have to catch yourself when you are comparing yourself to others and catch the destructive habits and try to stop them early on. That is something that I have been working on for my own mental health and working on finding things that bring me peace of mind and relaxation. Whether that is getting out in nature for an hour a day (even when it is cold out and miserable) , doing some walking at the gym, hanging out with my dog, watching a TV show, journaling. Just finding things that distract my mind and body in a positive way and trying to no let the negative of the day weigh me down as much and stay with me for too long.

• brittany-foster

February 10, 2020 at 11:39 am

@jenc as much as I don’t like seeing other’s suffering it also sends a spark inside of me to help out and maybe even reach out to that person or do something small. I know that it helps me so much when you reach out to me and surprise me with the starbucks drink on the card. Simple things like that really have the power to turn someone’s day around. So I try to pay it forward as much as I can, even if it’s just asking someone how their day is going or letting someone know that “I can understand”. It goes a long way.