Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What fast acting anxiety medication/ treatment has helped in the past?

• What fast acting anxiety medication/ treatment has helped in the past?

Posted by brittany-foster on February 6, 2020 at 1:11 pm

I have been having issues with sleeping lately and I think that it’s because I sometimes get anxious when I am wearing my bi-pap mask. I also have other anxieties that seem to just pop up every now and then to the point where I know I should be taking something for it on an as needed basis.

I spoke with a psychiatrist last month who agreed that I only would need something for situational anxiety and times when I feel really stressed and overwhelmed. They were prescribing me ativan but it actually made me feel really sick to my stomach. I have tried Klonopin before and that worked better, especially the fast dissolving ones.

What anxiety medications (for quick relief) have you tried? What works best for you with situational anxiety?

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • sandra-guajardo

February 7, 2020 at 3:43 pm

Hello Brittany,
    I suffer from anxiety on a daily basis, even years before my diagnoses. I’ve been taking Paxil 10 mg for the last 8 years and it helps me a lot! When my anxiety elevates by doctor increases it to 20 mg. It does take several weeks to build up in the body. Before Paxil, I once took Buspirone which is a quick release for anxiety and is only taken as needed. I would need to take it early in evening, if not I would wake up very drowsy. For me it was best to take something permanently.

• brittany-foster

February 7, 2020 at 3:51 pm

@sandra-guajardoutrgv-edu I can see how other people would want to take something more of an every day basis to help stabilize mood. For me, I find that I struggle a lot with shifts in my mood and when things feel really overwhelming I get really frustrated with myself and my body and don’t regulate my emotions well. I find that sometimes I take these emotions and difficult feelings out on others too. It can be hard trying to regulate it all and keep a good grasp on things. I have yet to try an SSRI that does more good for me. Other ones I have tried I have had really bad experiences with. That is why the fast acting ones are usually better for me situational wise or when I feel like my emotions are out of my control.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 7, 2020 at 8:00 pm

Hi Brittany. I am on Zanax 1 mg as needed. I normally take one before bed it helps with sleeping. Also I take one if I am overthinking something or start feeling agitated. It’s not fast acting. It normally takes about a half hour before I notice a difference. But it has helped calm me in situations where I really wanted to yell and scream at someone. For instance, if I have to deal with certain family visits, I take one! Because it calms me enough to think before I speak. I hope this helps. Anxiety can be really hard. I wish I could have a higher dose but my Doctor thinks it could slow my breathing with the other medications that I am on.

• brittany-foster

February 10, 2020 at 11:41 am

@shannon4jk it really is a fine line that the doctors have to walk when prescribing medications like this especially if we are on any medications that could interrupt our breathing patterns. This is why it has been hard for me to get medication for anxiety, but as long as I space it out appropriately and take the medication as prescribed I have been okay. The worst is actually when I am given the medication in the hospital because the IV form of it really acts like a sedative and can bring my respiration down and my thought process down and I just don’t feel like myself. I don’t like that feeling of not having that control.