• What Helps You To Financially Stay on Track?

Posted by jen-cueva on December 16, 2022 at 12:05 pm

With the current condition of our world’s economy, things are tightening in many homes. In the PH community, we often struggle to pay the high costs of treatments, tests, and appointments.

I’ve realized that my bags are not as full each week at the grocery store, and I’m spending more. I like to use my Ralph’s app to download coupons before heading to the store. This helps some, especially when I shop for items on sale that week.

What helps you to stay on track financially? Please share your tips below.

jen-cueva replied 8 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • brenda-denzler

December 16, 2022 at 12:36 pm

I’m struggling to FIND a track, financially. I keep trying to get my debt under control, pay down credit cards, etc. I’ve begun only buying it if I can pay cash for it. But when your car has $700-$800 worth of repairs that must be done or else the car won’t run….. Makes it hard to stick to a “pay-down” budget. And then with the holiday season, there is more spending (though I think this year I’m going to get by with embarrassingly little).

I have a lot of sympathy for folks who don’t have the insurance that I am so fortunate to have. I still pay around $150-$200 a month for meds, but so many folks have it much worse than me.

• jen-cueva

December 16, 2022 at 12:49 pm

Hi @brendad53, I am sorry about the car costs, but that always throws a “wrench” in the budget. I can’t believe how expensive those costs are. I’m grateful that Manny can work on just about anything.

You’re right; the holidays tend to be when many spend so much. But it doesn’t have to be that way. It isn’t why we celebrate Christmas. It was the best Christmas I recall when I was little, were times I got the least. The time we spend more family time doing things together means the most.

This year, I, too, am spending less or gifting less than I have in the past. I’ve started trending down on that since the year before COVID.

So true, insurance and copay assistance help, but still, the costs can be ridiculously high.

• jen-cueva

February 17, 2023 at 1:21 pm

Hi @colleensteele, maybe we can talk about how expensive pet care costs here. Our fur babies certainly add to the finances, or shall I say, it takes away from how much money we think we have.

What do you think about the affordability of pet care in our area? Do you have any tips for keeping costs down? I’d love to hear what other people are doing.

• Colleen

February 17, 2023 at 3:05 pm

Well Care Credit was very helpful when Mellow became ill. Honestly, without it we wouldn’t have been able to afford trying to save her life. But, it is a credit card so now it’s become a part of our debt.

As I mentioned, I took my dog and cat to the vet the other day for their vaccinations. The cat got his but Harmony is dealing with a skin allergy and ear infection so instead of shots, she got medication to take for the next few weeks.

The vaccinations for both pets would have totaled around 80 bucks. Instead, the bill came to almost $300.00.

I came home and looked in the bag. 1 flea pill, a small bottle of drops for her ears, an oral antibiotic and a small bottle of spray for the rash on her belly. Including the cats vaccinations I still don’t see how that bill came to $300.00. I realize it’s also the cost of seeing the vet but he spent about 10-15 minutes with each pet.

When you think about it, it is heartbreaking how expensive vet care is! Pets are more than something cute to look at, many if not most pet owners rely on their pets for emotional therapy. They heal loneliness and bad days. But then when these amazing animals get sick they often can’t be helped because owners can’t afford the vet bills.

There must be a way to help people manage the costs other than piling on debt.

• Colleen

February 17, 2023 at 3:12 pm

@jenc you mentioned that your vet in Texas had a puppy and adult dog programs. “It saved us a ton with Sasah. It was $20 per month but covered all vaccinations, three pet visits in the year, and discounts on other things.”

I never heard of a program like that before. I have the feeling our vet doesn’t offer anything like that but I’m going to do some research and see if any vets in our area do.

• jen-cueva

February 20, 2023 at 12:54 pm

Hi @colleensteele, it was called a “Paw plan” at our old vet. I believe it went by the age of the pet. The new one for Zoë here doesn’t offer that but did sell Manny a first-year package that includes all services she will need within her first year. It includes two clinical appointments, which we are using this afternoon. She may have kennel cough, although she hasn’t been around other dogs.

I thought this plan was a tad overpriced; it was $500, maybe not, depending on how much they charge for simple things.

It’s not only groceries and gas. Pet healthcare is also higher than it has been, in my opinion.

• jen-cueva

July 7, 2023 at 11:10 am

With the current state of our economy and the budgets we are left with after medical costs, this is always an important topic. I find myself shopping for what is on sale for the week for protein. This week was chicken breast for $1.99 per pound. I bought two family packs for less than $10 for each package. I brought them home and split them into serving portions for Manny and me to throw in the freezer.

I bought two pounds of fresh large strawberries, usually $3.99, usually $6.99. I also purchase seasonal produce like asparagus on sale and baby gold potatoes.

Last night I made a lemon Greek chicken bake with gold potatoes, garlic, and onion. Then, I marinate those before tossing them on a sheet pan in the oven. I drizzled with a little leftover marinade that I made and sliced lemons. Frozen green beans, I later sauteed in a skillet with garlic and a zest of lemon. Plus, we have leftovers for lunches today.

I use my Ralph and Von’s apps to add coupons before grocery shopping. Yesterday I saved $32, it said in coupons and sales.

What have you been doing to help pinch pennies?

• Colleen

July 7, 2023 at 11:33 am

@jenc that lemon Greek chicken back sounds amazing! You are quite the chef!

I try to buy what is on sale but I could do better. Funny you mentioned chicken because I’ve been complaining to the boys how expensive chicken even is these days. It’s awful!

• jen-cueva

July 7, 2023 at 2:59 pm

Hi @colleensteele, thanks, but I’m far from a chef. I enjoy making simple dishes; this was a sheet pan meal except for the green beans.

The chicken breast I bought on sale is at Ralph’s. I don’t always shop the sales. If I want to make something that week, I’ll see how to make it more budget-friendly. I want to make fish on Monday, so I’ll wait until Monday to buy it fresh as it’s on sale through Tuesday. Their sales change on Wednesdays. Knowing what days each store starts their sales is also a great tip.

For anyone who shops at Sprouts. Wednesday is double sale day so you can do the two weeks of sales that day. It’s often on Wednesdays if I shop there, but I can only buy some groceries there.

• brenda-denzler

July 7, 2023 at 11:40 am

My favorite tactic is to use a coupon to buy something that’s on sale anyway, and do it on a Thursday at the store where senior citizens get a 5% discount on that day. It doesn’t work out that I can do all three at a time very often, but when I can, I really feel good!

• Colleen

July 7, 2023 at 11:54 am

@brendad53 it’s so satisfying watching the total drop on the register screen as sales and coupons are configured!

• jen-cueva

July 7, 2023 at 3:01 pm

Hi @brendad53, that’s an excellent suggestion for those who can get the senior discount. If you shop at Sprouts, do you shop on Wednesdays for double sales?

Are your coupons online or on paper? I only use the ones in the app. Years ago, in nursing school, we would clip the weekly coupons from Sunday papers.

• brenda-denzler

July 7, 2023 at 5:13 pm

Ah, we don’t have a “Sprouts” here in my part of the country. I get the senior discount on Thursdays at our Harris Teeter supermarket chain.

• jen-cueva

July 10, 2023 at 12:42 pm

Hi @brendad53, I’ve never heard of Harris Teeter before. Is that only in NC? Is it like Sprouts with many natural items and a wonderful deli and bakery?

@colleensteele, I love watching the total drop when I put in my savings cards at grocery stores. I’m always like keep dropping! Unfortunately, it never falls enough! Hehe