Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What PH Doctors Didn’t Tell Me in Discharge Instructions After Surgery

• What PH Doctors Didn’t Tell Me in Discharge Instructions After Surgery

Posted by pulmonary-hypertension-news-moderator on October 11, 2018 at 1:35 pm

After being discharged from hospital following surgery, columnist Brittany Foster was overwhelmed by anxiety, wondering if she could manage her recovery on her own. Her mental health took a hit, but the experience allowed Brittany to identify ways in which hospitals can improve how they discharge patients following surgery, especially those with chronic and life-threatening illnesses like PH.

Click here to read Brittany’s thoughts on this topic.

Can you relate to feeling anxious or depressed after a hospital stay?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • azebraman

October 14, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Hi Brittany,

Thanks for this column. Where I used to work while doing my degree, there is a lab that’s analyzing patient information seeking. I’ll make sure to pass this concept on to them because you’re not the only one who’s had this happen (I have too).

• brittany-foster

October 15, 2018 at 9:09 am

Hi VK,
      Thanks so much for spreading the word. Getting this message out to hospital employees could be very helpful! Especially so they are aware that it’s not just the physical stress that we deal with. Most of the time my emotional stress is worse when my physical symptoms are acting up!

• jen-cueva

October 15, 2018 at 8:58 pm

Definitely can relate, Brittany!

You know I’ve never had a Case Manager come in before discharge to be sure I have and know all I need to do things at home. I usually see one once during my stay and that’s in the beginning. I think that they should be there upon discharge and make sure we have no questions or concerns. In my case , often on discharge day I’m just ready to go home , so I don’t think of asking for a Case Manager.( usually a nurse or social worker) I think that is one way to help , emotionally and physically we need to have these answers.

• brittany-foster

October 16, 2018 at 4:35 am

I agree! I also think social workers should be more present in hospitals anyways and be checking in especially on the patients who have been in the hospital chronically to see what can make us more comfortable. As a child I always loved the social work and child life team. Adults need this too! I had social work services when I was at a Women and Infants hospital when I lost both tubes a few years ago and she was so amazing and understood and even called me to check on me a week and a few weeks after discharge.