Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions What Precautions Do Family Members Take Against Illness?

• What Precautions Do Family Members Take Against Illness?

Posted by brittany-foster on March 24, 2020 at 11:54 am

Now, more than ever, my family and close friends are taking more precautions when it comes to preventing illness. Not only is this helpful for THEM but it is really helpful to take preventative measures ALL THE TIME for my safery ! My family makes sure to practice good hygiene like washing hands and helping to disinfect surfaces and clean.

My boyfriend is working with the general public during this time of the COVID19 outbreak and something that he does when he gets home is making sure he gets in the shower right away. He puts his clothes in a completely separate laundry basket. He also is wearing protective gloves around the house and making sure that he limits touching surfaces. He has been staying his distance from me because we just can’t take our chances right now.

Even though on a regular basis we are not avoiding contact with each other, it still is important to take precaution all the time time and not just for the time being until this virus is done.

What are some precautions your loved ones take to keep you safe? If you are a caregiver/ family member of someone with an illness what do you do to make sure you are protected ALL YEAR and not just now ?

jen-cueva replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Colleen

March 24, 2020 at 2:24 pm

Good question @brittany-foster. Just like your family, we have always been mindful of germs and taking precautions because of Cullen but now we are walking even more carefully on egg shells. We are all home 24/7 now but when Aidan was still attending work and school he was doing the same as your husband. He would come home and quickly shower and change his clothes. I never thought about separating his wash though. That’s a good suggestion.

• brittany-foster

March 24, 2020 at 5:20 pm

@colleensteele am thankful that we have a big enough townhouse for just the two of us and it has 2 full bathrooms. I have one and he has another so that we don’t have to share laundry or share sinks and toilets. As small as it may seem, it makes a big difference especially with cleaning and being more cautious about this ! It is a small change but it can make a difference. I have always been mindful of germs but it is like those around me are more hyper-vigilant about all of this. It’s good to see how much they care, but the focus on my health also can be anxiety provoking!

• jen-cueva

March 25, 2020 at 11:11 am

Great question, @brittany-foster. After a discussion yesterday and then reading concerns from @robin-webster, I know that many have these same concerns.

Like you, my hubby still has to go to work. I have him strip down in the shower and head straight to the shower as he gets home. He is always great with handwashing and personal hygiene, but now he is also more concerned. I also have my hubby only use “his” bathroom, which was previously our daughter’s. My hubby takes his “work” clothes to work to wash, so I am not washing any with mine. He has not always been on-board with flu shots, etc. But, now he is so paranoid that he will bring something home to me.

I. like you, think this may help him all of the time now to be more proactive. After the virus, we need to continue these precautions. He is always great when he is sick, to keep his distance. But, I think this may have changed his thoughts on the flu shot, too.

Great tip about the laundry basket. What other tips do others have to keep yourself safe from family members who are working outside the home?

• brittany-foster

March 26, 2020 at 8:54 am

@jenc I’m glad I am not alone in this and how my bf responds. He usually is really good about being away from me when he is sick too. I think that this is making him more aware of the health of those around him too and how even though he is not technically sick, others can be carriers of ANYTHING that is going around, not just COVID19. I feel like that is the main focus of things right now, but it is something that should at least be thought about when this is all past us. My nurse friends said that the tip about showering and just making sure they don’t touch much of anything until they shower and wash themselves off from work is important!

• jen-cueva

March 26, 2020 at 4:29 pm

No, you are so not alone, @brittany-foster. I think that my hubby is more self-conscious of things now. Although he is like Jay, great to keep away when he’s sick. I do not allow my hubby to touch anything before he showers. But who knows what he touches at work, although he has always been one to stay clean and wash his hands, thankfully.