• What topics would you like to discuss this month?

Posted by Brittany Foster on May 2, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Sometimes there are a lot of topics and posts to have to scroll through on our different forum conversations we have here. What are some topics that you would like for us to discuss on this forum in the upcoming month? What topics are most helpful to you?

Personally, I enjoy having conversations about mental health (May is also Mental Health Awareness month), I like to discuss symptoms that I have been having to see if others can relate, coping skills, and love hearing about things that may help to make life easier for someone living with PH.

What are some topics you would like to see here this month? Give a list of any ideas that come to mind and I will work on addressing all of them during this month in my daily posts.

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • jen-cueva

May 2, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Great idea , Brittany!
    Mental health is huge and I think here is a great place for us all to share our symptoms as we’ll as coping skills! Definitely a top discussion idea! I think often some don’t have others that they can easily discuss these symptoms with and often brings anxiety in itself, just thinking of taking about these issues!

I would like to discuss the heat and summer months and how we cope and still enjoy the summer with our loved ones! Also, it’s important not forget to stay hydrated and not get too much fluid! ( I did a presentation at the Dallas PH Conference on fluid balance ).

• Brittany Foster

May 2, 2019 at 6:52 pm

Hi Jen,
      You can always feel free to post your knowledge and forum topics too! I always appreciate all your input and responses. They’re great to read! Finding that balance of water vs too much water and water retention is pretty tough. Especially in the heat when we sweat more and require more water.

I will definitely have some discussions about the upcoming summer months and hot days. We haven’t hit ant heat waves in Rhode Island yet this year , still about 50 degrees and rainy! Can’t believe this is the weather in MAY!

• jen-cueva

May 2, 2019 at 7:11 pm

Thanks Brittany !
        I do have a few topics I want to post as well. I will spread them out though .

Ohh 50s…. 80s here this week but humidity is about 80% too and overcast with afternoon storms . I prefer the sunshine , low humidity and 70s or low 80s…San Diego weather lol (don’t we all ? )

• Brittany Foster

May 3, 2019 at 8:46 am

Sunny and 75 sounds amazing right now!!!! This upcoming week is supposed to be in the 60s to 70s and sunny so I plan on getting some sunshine on my face and some color on my skin before being bed bound for a month post op LOL! The sunshine does wonders for me and my mental health .

• jen-cueva

May 3, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Brittany,
        I agree the sunshine does great things for my mental health as well. I try to sit out on the sun several times per week , at least when it’s out! It’s been cloudy and overcast the last few days.

Ohh I definitely understand and hope you get some warmer sunny days before your surgery as I know because no bed bound for a month is tough! The year before last , I was hospitalized for just over 3 weeks and I remember a day or so before discharge my family took me outside and it was sunny and just the best thing ever!

• Brittany Foster

May 4, 2019 at 8:12 am

Jen,
        It hasn’t been sunny and nice in RI in weeks it seems! There’s like 1 or 2 nice days and then cloudy, cool, and rainy. Even though it has been cooler out I’ve been trying to get out for walks with my oxygen to get my heart as strong as ppssible. I’ve been doing about 1.5 miles every other day for the last few weeks. It helps a ton with my stress and energy level and right now I can take all the stress relief I can get.

• jen-cueva

May 4, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Great job at be g proactive, Brittany! 1.5 miles is huge!

Today, the sun is out more , as the rain and storms are starting to clear out some! I’ll send a little to you in RI 😊

• Brittany Foster

May 6, 2019 at 8:44 am

Jen,
        I think you sending over the sunshine helped ! Today and tomorrow are supposed to be nicer days towards the afternoon and I’m looking forward to getting outside for once and getting some fresh air. If it weren’t for all the pollen and growing trees right now I’d be outside all day (darn allergies) LOL!

• jen-cueva

May 6, 2019 at 2:22 pm

Yay for sunshine, Brittany!

I, too have been having issues with allergies! I never had issues with allergies until probably the last year or so. I take plain Claritin now. Until last week, my doctors only let me take Benadryl and that made me drowsy and wasn’t helping. Hope you get some relief and the sunshine sticks around!

• Brittany Foster

May 6, 2019 at 3:05 pm

Just went for a walk in the sunshine and it felt good to be outside. My glands started to feel a little swollen though (that’s one of my allergy symptoms). Most people get the red, watery eyes or the cough, I get swollen glands at my neck.

• jen-cueva

May 6, 2019 at 4:03 pm

I’m glad you did get out and enjoy some sunshine, Brittany. I’m sorry that your allergies started up .Do you ever get like a tingling or weird feeling in your mouth with your allergies ? I also get itching on my face .

• Brittany Foster

May 7, 2019 at 9:46 am

Yes,
        sometimes my tongue gets tingly and my mouth becomes very dry during allergy season! I already have dry mouth anyways from not being able to drink water by mouth or have liquids by mouth in a few months. I feel like my saliva production will be at an all time high when I can eat and drink again hahaha.

• jen-cueva

May 7, 2019 at 11:04 am

Ohh Brittany , I know it’s not funny but as I read about your high saliva level when you eat and drink again, I just picture this huge drool dripping down your face, lol

I can’t even imagine the dryness you deal with as I know the diuretics do that enough for me, plus when I’m restricted on fluids . I bet your mouth stays extremely dry. Do you use moistened mouth swabs , Biotene , or any remedies that help you with this ? Ohh maybe we can make this another topic as I seem to get drier in the summer months. I could start a new post , if you want.

• Vanessa Vaile

May 7, 2019 at 4:50 pm

@brittany-foster, I’m on walking with oxygen training regimen too. Summer heat has been hard on me, but the more fit I am the easier it is to handle heat. Staying fit in the summer — exercise, allergies (high tree pollen here now), staying hydrated when you’re on diuretics and watching water intake — all good summer topics.

• jen-cueva

May 7, 2019 at 9:25 pm

Vanessa, what area are you in again? I’m in Texas so our heat and humidity definitely makes it harder to breathe . I applaud you for your walking schedule. We also have high tree and grass pollen right now . I’m hoping these storms and all of this rain will keep it at bay.

• Brittany Foster

May 8, 2019 at 9:06 am

Jen,
        The pollen has been terrible here too. The problem with New England weather is that it goes from one extreme (really cold) to warm in a a matter of days. It’s as if there’s no real transition in the seasons anymore. This makes everything seem to bloom all at once and can be a huge trigger for flare ups of allergies.

• jen-cueva

May 8, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Brittany , sounds like Texas weather . They always say if you don’t like the weather , stick around , it changes like it’s bipolar , lol

I was hoping this rain would help keep the polllen at bay some but still today, I have the allergies .

• Brittany Foster

May 8, 2019 at 4:42 pm

The pollen count is a HUGE issue for a lot of my friends right now who have allergies, even the ones that don’t have PH. I can feel it in the scratchiness at the back of my throat and like I said before, I sign of my allergies flaring up is my glands in my neck starting to feel enlarged.

• Brittany Foster

May 8, 2019 at 9:05 am

I couldn’t agree more, Vanessa! These are definitely topics that have been of interest to people in the past too regarding exercise and the summertime and trying to stay active in the summer heat. I know it can be hard for many with PH to keep up with their active lifestyle with certain weather conditions and balancing water vs too much water and fluid retention is NEVER easy. I find myself a lot more swollen in the summer months and notice more water retention.

• jen-cueva

May 8, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Yes Brittany and Valerie, the heat and summer months definitely cakes more swelling for me as well. I know years ago even in the dry heat of Arizona, I blew up like a puffer fish. We have to be really careful not to overheat and dehydrate but while keeping that balance. It’s a difficult balance to say the least .