Tagged: 

• What’s your favorite thing about summer ?

Posted by jen-cueva on May 28, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Rather we like it or not, summer is just around the corner. Some of you, like myself , have already experienced the
    warmer temperatures while others have had cooler temps and even snow!

Although, I can’t get out as much as I would like with high humidity and heat , I try and get outdoors when I can. I look forward to more sunshine , as I feel like the sunshine just makes my day better! Does anyone else feel this way? I enjoy more family time and grilling as well as getting in my pool to cool off (and exercise some) when I feel up to it. I do understand some of you have IV meds and such and cannot get in the pool, as well ,we are all functioning at various levels.

I also enjoy flip flops, the beach or lake , as just looking at water seems to relax me! I like eating “ al fresco” and I love Snocones!

I enjoy watching the neighborhood kids playing and get really excited watching my tomato plant grow. I know that sounds really simple and silly to some, but it reminds me of my childhood summers and my Grandpa’s garden.

What is your favorite thing about summer? I know, I have many favorite things, hehe

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Colleen

May 29, 2019 at 4:23 pm

I enjoy all of the same things as you Jen! Somehow it’s the simple things in life that often become our favorite memories and traditions. The heat does make things difficult for PHer’s but there are still ways to enjoy the season. On cooler summer days my son enjoyed mini golf and his low key version of skate boarding at the park. He had a dry suit to go swimming but even then he had to be careful with the heat so he enjoyed that activity in moderate amounts.

My family enjoys grilling and sitting on our porch with a cool beverage while laughing and talking or simply reading a book. Really this is our favorite activity, simple, relaxing, summer family time!

Oh, and watermelon and ice pops, my son’s personal favorites!

• jen-cueva

May 29, 2019 at 9:20 pm

So true, Colleen, the simple things in life are the best!

Summer barbecues and family time are huge and one of my favorite things . I don’t care if we are talking , eating, or as you said reading! AC breaks are great for the hottest days and to help out some.

• david-peterson

May 29, 2019 at 5:30 pm

I have good things to say about cold and hot seasons. The cold helps my breathing and the heat helps my lupus sometimes. But I love everything about summertime. I miss being as active as I was, but I must live with what my body will tolerate.

• jen-cueva

May 29, 2019 at 9:28 pm

Definitely true, David! I do not do well in cold temperatures or the hotter temperatures. My body likes the mild temperatures. It definitely can interfere with our activities outdoors.

I can understand how you miss being as active as before, I struggle with this often too, but I try and think of what I can still do and maybe find ways I can modify some of the things I’ve always enjoyed but adjusting that activity based on my activity and functioning level .

• Colleen

May 29, 2019 at 5:54 pm

You make a good point David, I think each season has it’s own way of effecting PH for the better of for the worse. Not being as active as you wish you could be puts a damper on things for sure, but hopefully you have found ways to enjoy simple pleasures. The colder weather always helped my son’s breathing as well, as long as it wasn’t too cold. Too hot or too cold would often take it’s toll on him. He’s post transplant now but he still prefers the colder weather and loves it when it rains…good thing we live in WA state.