Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health With PH, It’s Important to Focus on What You Can Do, Not What You Can’t

• With PH, It’s Important to Focus on What You Can Do, Not What You Can’t

Posted by pulmonary-hypertension-news-moderator on August 28, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Living with a chronic illness like pulmonary hypertension can be limiting and discouraging. Often, people living with PH can’t participate in activities they once enjoyed.

But, as patient columnist Brittany Foster is quick to remind us, when you’re chronically ill, it’s more important to focus on what you CAN do, rather than what you can’t. Find out what Brittany means here.

Do you agree with Brittany? How can you change your outlook to be more positive, despite your health challenges?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jody-hoffman

September 2, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Ive always been active all my life has been spent outside. I grew up on a farm and most of my jobs involved outdoor work. I would hunt and fish and camp all the time. I also love to read historical books concerning the Indian Wars. As I started to get sick I slowed down and changed my ways. I had to work inside in aclimate controlled environment, we actually had to sell our horses and the little farm we lived on and move to a small town. I still managed to hunt until this last year. It took a while but I found new hobbies. I had no idea that I was quite good at painting miniatures. I combined my love for The Battle of the Little Big Horn and miniatures into making dioramas of the battle & into building and painting models of Custer and 7th cavalry troopers and Native Americans. That along with studying about the battle & starting to write a novel about the battle has kept me from becoming depressed and thinking that I can’t do anything anymore. I may not be able to do what I used to do but I have found new things. Instead of being upset about what I can’t do anymore I found new things.

• brittany-foster

September 3, 2018 at 9:31 am

Hi Jody!
      That’s so great to hear that you have turned some hobbies into a real passion of yours and are even writing about it. I bet your artistic ability is amazing especially because you are able to channel all of the energy you put into other things onto the things you are able to do now. I would love to see some of the work you are doing! I love when people can really reach in and find that creative side to them. I believe everyone has that hidden somewhere! My conditions have blessed me with the ability to find that I have a love for writing 🙂 keep up the great attitude and love what you’re doing

• constance

September 4, 2018 at 10:20 am

Good morning Jody and Brittany,

Wow Jody your new hobbies sound so exciting. My hobbies are somewhat milder also. I can still do the community Chorale, but had to give up line dancing etc. You sound alot like me, I refuse to let PAH define who I am. Doing the Group Support is one of my new adventures, and I hope will be beneficial to lots of folks including myself. I will also be taking a signing class which really does excite me tons.

I wish you both well and love your positive thoughts…

• brittany-foster

September 4, 2018 at 10:42 am

Constance,
      I can’t wait to hear updates about the support group. I know personally how amazing it feels to be able to relate to others and know that your journey will help someone else feel less alone. It definitely brings about a sense of purpose to my life and I’m confident it will give your life even more positivity! Keep up the energy and good vibes! 🙂 I’m rooting for you!