• The Stresses of Being a Caregiver

Posted by jen-cueva on February 4, 2022 at 1:21 pm

I came across this article in my email last month and immediately thought of our caregivers here. Although this talks about caring for older people and retirement, others can relate.

They also share a link from AARP with tips for caregivers, which some may find helpful.

This line stood out to me, and I bet others can agree, “Set aside any guilt about taking care of yourself. Aim to do a good job of caregiving, not a perfect one.”

What takeaways do you have? What can you add to this that may benefit our caregivers?

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 12 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Colleen

February 4, 2022 at 6:44 pm

@jenc feeling the need to be a “perfect” caregiver must be a common problem for caregivers because I felt the need to write about this topic too. Link: “Perfect Caregivers Are Not Real“.

I don’t discuss this often but I do a lot of caregiving for my husband too and between him and Cullen I sometimes feel like I’m not helping them to my full ability. I think the big thing caregivers need to remember is that they are one person. We are not superhuman. We can only achieve so much in one day and there will be days when we are worn out and can’t give 100%. It doesn’t make us a bad caregiver – it just makes us a human one.

Thanks for bringing this topic up Jen!

• jen-cueva

February 7, 2022 at 4:04 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I can’t begin to imagine how much work you do care for Cullen and your hubby, too. Please know that you are only human for you and our other caregivers. You bring up an important reminder, “you are only one person,” that hits home, and I hope others will remember this.

I worry about you and our other excellent caregivers because caregiving is a tough job and leaves you feeling exhausted. Please make time to care for yourself and rest as needed.

This column was the one that you referenced, Mary Poppins, and I loved that as you related that to caregiving! Trial and error, as you mention, are all you can do. As a patient, I know that caregivers are doing their best and then some. Thank you greatly.

• Colleen

February 8, 2022 at 12:07 am

@jenc I’ve been thinking a lot about you and all our patients here in the forums and how much they support one another. In one way or another we are all caregivers here.

• jen-cueva

February 8, 2022 at 5:09 pm

Well said, @colleensteele! It always seems like everyone is caregiving for others. In nursing, I often reminded families that although some family members may not be doing direct hands-on care, they may offer emotional support. All parts of wellness are included in caregiving.

• jen-cueva

April 27, 2022 at 2:47 pm

It’s Stress Awareness Month, y’all! How are our caregivers, family members, and spouses doing with handling stress? Caregiver burnout is all too common, and we want to support y’all where you’re at.

• Colleen

April 27, 2022 at 6:32 pm

Thank you for reaching out to the caregivers, @jenc. Burnout is a real thing. I try to leave the house at least once a day, even if it’s just a Starbucks run. I find the temporary change of scenery, fresh out, chatting with the barista, often gives me an emotional boost when I need one.

What do our other caregivers do to fight burnout?

• jen-cueva

April 28, 2022 at 1:00 pm

Hi @colleensteele, we have to take care of our caregivers! Y’all keep us PHighting!

I didn’t realize you go to Starbucks daily, is that most weekdays? I bet they certainly know you and your Peppermint Mocha order. Do they? What other drinks or new items have you tried?

Kudos to you for taking those drives each day. Is this when you leave your phone or silence it for the drive?

Manny rides his mountain bike when he isn’t too drained from work. He also has a beer or two, and that helps him destress. Although, these are not at the same time. That could be dangerous, hehe.