Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members What Do Caregivers And Succulents Have In Common?

• What Do Caregivers And Succulents Have In Common?

Posted by Colleen on October 6, 2021 at 3:45 pm

I hope you will take a moment to read my column this week but I won’t leave you hanging. Caregivers and succulents are both resilient.

To believe it or not, this column was inspired by a TikTok video in which a woman shared an activity she participated in during a caregiver pampering day.

The caregivers were provided a succulent. On the outside of the pot they wrote a word that reflects who they are now. On tissue paper they wrote a word that reflects who they would like to become through the caregiving experience. Then the tissue paper and the succulent were planted together so that the two could become one.

My word for who I am now is empathetic and the word I selected for who I want to become is accepting. I go into detail about it in my column.

What words would you chose?

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2021/10/04/what-do-caregivers-succulents-have-common/

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jen-cueva

October 7, 2021 at 12:58 pm

Such a profound piece, @colleensteele. I recall when you mentioned that you are writing about a TikTok video. Because I have only seen blips of those videos on social media from others, I thought of humor.

I love this as caregivers are resilient. Empathetic is undoubtedly you. But, strong, resident, holy, and compassionate are a few other words. Let’s not forget stubbornness, hehe.

Acceptance is challenging and can come and go from my experience. It’s only natural as a human and a mom to a son who is now post-transplant.

I love the pics of the kids in the succulent garden. Interestingly, I told Manny last week that I will have succulents on my patio at the condo.

As a patient and a caregiver, I would say I am passionate. I want to be more patient and strong.

You’ve wowed me once again!

• Colleen

October 7, 2021 at 5:13 pm

@jenc you are definitely passionate! I also think that just like acceptance – patience and strength ebbs and flows for all of us.

I hope the succulents on your patio will hold great meaning for you now.

• jen-cueva

October 8, 2021 at 1:05 pm

Thanks, @colleensteele. I do think that many of our emotions and characteristics ebb and flow. You mention acceptance, patience, and strength.

Today, patience is more lacking as I think of many tasks that I need to do. But know I will get to them one step at a time.

My new succulents on that patio will undoubtedly have much more meaning now. I may name them Patience and Strength. I’m not getting them until we move.

• Colleen

October 8, 2021 at 5:20 pm

@jenc when my parents moved from the family home I grew up in my mom dug up flowering succulents that she planted when I was a little girl. She replanted them at their new home and brought some out to WA for me during one of her visits out here. So I have succulents in my front yard that had grown in my yard as a child. Talk about resilience!

• jen-cueva

October 11, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Wow, @colleensteele, thanks for sharing such a heartwarming story. I love that your mom brought some to you in WA. They certainly are resilient like you.

This was make those succulents that more special once I do buy them for my new patio. I loved reading this column and this added special touch.