Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members What Have You Learned From People Those Have Lost Loved Ones To PH?

• What Have You Learned From People Those Have Lost Loved Ones To PH?

Posted by Colleen on July 21, 2021 at 1:04 pm

It is a sad reality of the disease, that people can and do die from PH. What I have been in awe of is how more often then not, the families and friends left behind reach past their grief to focus on the love, lessons and inspiration that those who died, left behind.

What I really is admire is witnessing loved one continuing to advocate for PH and find special, unique ways to keep the memory of their loved one alive.

A perfect example of this is that of Gillian Murr. Her son, Corbin lost his life to PH 3 years ago. Last week he would have celebrated his 19th birthday. If he looked down from heaven he would have seen that his mom and many others were still celebrating it for him.

I interviewed Gillian in my recent column. I hope you will take a moment to read it and share your thoughts about this type of grief and if it inspires you in any way.
    https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2021/07/19/love-makes-broken-heart-feel-strong/

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jen-cueva

July 27, 2021 at 10:56 am

Hi @colleensteele, reading this column last week, I have chills also; it broke my heart for Corbin and his family. He was so young but such a fun young guy, it seems.

Those braids were so cool!

I loved the rootbeer float and spaghetti dinner in honor of Corbin for his birthday.

I cannot begin to imagine the pain in his mom, Gillian’s heart. But, she tells this story with such love and heartwarming happiness.

For me, I find that I am inspired to work harder on advocacy and PHight for a cure in honor of so many we have lost. I also have learned how grieving families continue to be supportive and loving as they are hurting.

So often, these families don’t allow this to make them hard. Instead, they continue to support and PHight for a cure.

You beautifully wrote this, and what a tribute to Corbin.

• Colleen

July 27, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Thank you @jen-c. I was originally going to interview Corbin’s mom for the transplant ineligibility column I wrote prior to this one. But we decided with is birthday and death anniversary approaching I would write a tribute column instead. I’m so glad that is the way I went with it. It’s a sad story but also heartwarming and inspirational. His mom did a great job answering my questions.

• jen-cueva

July 28, 2021 at 10:26 am

Yes, I agree, @colleensteele. I smiled, was tearful, and inspired while reading this awesome tribute column. I love how you do your interviews.

You offer so many different perspectives of others while making such heartwarming stories for us all to read.

I thoroughly enjoy each of your columns and always left feeling inspired or learned something. Thank you, Colleen.

• Colleen

July 28, 2021 at 12:57 pm

Right back at ya @jenc! I think we are each others biggest fans. LOL!

• jen-cueva

July 29, 2021 at 10:29 am

LOL, @colleensteele, always been a fan of your excellent pieces.

That is OK if we are each others’ biggest fans.

Hopefully, others have read this but did not respond. I loved the pics. Corbin’s braids were beautiful. It is such a heart-touching and inspiring tribute.