Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Research and Development Lung Cancer Therapy Shows Promise in Treating PAH

• Lung Cancer Therapy Shows Promise in Treating PAH

Posted by kathleen-sheffer on February 19, 2019 at 5:17 pm

Researcher looking at rats.

News writer Alberto Molano shares some exciting results that came available online in the European Journal of Pharmacology just last week. A medication recently approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating forms of lung cancer may be an option for patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). The medication, dacomitinib, gained approval under the brand name Vizimpro by Pfizer. Dacomitinib exhibited therapeutic efficacy in two animal models of PAH. Read the full article here.

I hope this treatment option will continue to be studied. It’s exciting to me to see research into new treatment pathways. Given that the FDA already approved the medication for use in patients with lung cancer, it may be available for treating our patient population sooner than other options that look promising in animal trials. For instance, my doctor saved my life by starting me on Sildenafil before it was approved specifically to treat PAH. With enough research already available, she knew it would help me, and knew it was safe to prescribe.

What do you think of this relatively new medication? Had you heard about these trials? Has your doctor mentioned the medication to you?

Every time I met with one of my PH doctors I would ask them about new trials and research that excited them. This is one of the tips I shared earlier in the Awareness and Advocacy forum topic, Questions to Ask Your Doctor. Have you incorporated the question about new research into your appointents? Will you ask about dacomitinib at your next appointment? I’d be curious to learn what they have to say. Are there any other medications currently in trials that excite you and/or your doctors?

kathleen-sheffer replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.