• Posted by kathleen-sheffer on February 26, 2018 at 6:45 pm

Hosting fundraisers is a great way to raise awareness in your community and simultaneously contribute to PH awareness organizations.

My family has participated in walks like PHA’s O2 Breathe Walk, and my parents solicited sponsors to hike Mount Whitney, knowing that the altitude sickness they experienced after hiking to over 14,000 feet was similar to how I felt every day with PH. One of our favorite ways to raise funds for PH awareness and research was hosting dinner parties at our home. We charged our friends admission to the party, offering food, drinks, live music, and once, a live auction.

Our fundraisers were an opportunity to educate friends about the disease and ultimately built a network of support that was crucial for my success with my heart-lung transplant.

Have you participated in a PH fundraiser or organized one of your own? Please share your experiences and ideas for future fundraisers or awareness campaigns!

kathleen-sheffer replied 6 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

March 16, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Kathleen,
    Wow , I can bet that hitting that altitude would definitely give them a glimpse in the life of a PHer ! My dsughter was in Colorado a few times and described her thoughts as she was reaching higher altitudes , the air got heavier and she struggled some, she thought that’s what “ Mom” feels daily.

I like the dinner party idea as well!

I helped put on the Houston PHkids4acure walk several years ago with a friend and mother of a local PH kid ( well teen , now) . It was so much fun but so much work too as we didn’t have as much help as we needed and it exhausted me. But, so worth it to see the families and community come together for these kids. The kids of PH are some of the strongest and breaks my heart !
    I would just suggest starting small, unless you have lots of extra help and “ spoons”.

• kathleen-sheffer

March 16, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Jen, that’s a great point about the toll fundraisers can take. Definitely need to have a good support staff! Creating a board is a good idea for bigger fundraisers. On the other hand, I’ve seen individual patients create their own ongoing fundraisers by selling jewelry and the like.