The ‘Spoonie’ Movement

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

If you’re active on the Internet, particularly in groups and forums related to chronic illness, you’ve definitely noticed the term “spoonie” being thrown around.

Spoonie is a term coined by a chronic illness blogger, who used spoons to demonstrate how much energy a person with a chronic illness has each day, and how much is used up doing simple tasks like washing or getting dressed.

Check out this video to learn more about this expression: What Is a ‘Spoonie’?

As this video by Hot Pink Sun explains, the symbolism stuck and spoonie is now a widely used term for anyone who has a chronic illness. Can you relate to this term? Do you use it yourself?

Kathleen Sheffer
      Participant

I love the spoon theory! I wrote a column post about how it relates to my life: “Life with More Spoons”. It’s such a simple way to explain pulmonary hypertension and associated fatigue to my friends without going into all the details of the diagnosis.

Brittany Foster
      Keymaster

I agree! Something that is easy to explain to others instead of getting into all the medical terms that would most likely go over my friend’s heads lol! I also talk in terms of how much battery is left for the day or fuel. Like for example I’ll say something like “I’m running on E right now” and they get the hint that I’m completely wiped !

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account