• Exercise and schedules

Posted by Terry D. Blissett on June 12, 2018 at 6:57 am

Due to the fatigue that I get for a couple days after exercise, I have to be strategic on which days that I do it. Does anyone who exercises regularly see any improvement in energy replenishment? Does your recovery time get shorter with time or longer?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

June 12, 2018 at 10:58 am

Hi Terry,
    from what I have noticed with myself and working out is that when I first tried to get back into an exercise routine I was getting very discouraged because I was so exhausted after exercise. I didn’t get the exercise “high” from the adrenaline rush that I once did playing sports throughout most of my life. It just left me feeling defeated. When I learned to accept the fact that I couldn’t do as much as I once did it became easier and I saw more improvement with baby steps. Set smaller goals for yourself would be my biggest advice to you! For example, start out walking a mile and then doing some stretches of strength building for no more than 10 minutes at a time. From there (or wherever you start from) work yourself up in different increments each week. Seeing small improvements really helps to motivate and also keeps you from feeling too frustrated with yourself. Keep a diary of your day and try to figure out what part of the day you feel the most alert and have as much energy as possible and use that as your starting point.

• Terry D. Blissett

June 12, 2018 at 11:21 am

Great advice! Thanks.

• Harold A. Workman

June 12, 2018 at 12:22 pm

I was diagnosed with PAH in May of 2017. Since 2008 I had been dealing with Arterial Fibrillation.In 2010 I was in flat line and was paddled back after 6 minutes. After the first attack I spent the next 2 months in and out of hospitals and received a realignment which improved my AFIB condition. I finally got into rehab where I discovered the importance of exercise in improving my oxygen retention and recovery times. The 3 weeks in rehab and experiences with the incompetent staff convinced me to do whatever was necessary to avoid hospitals on rehab if I wanted to hang around to enjoy what I could in my twilight years. Since departing rehab I have reduced my oxygen need to 2 liters and some short periods with no oxygen supplementation. I did have the flu for 17 days in February and my oxygen need increased to 5 liters. To date I have almost recovered to my pre-flu condition. It takes real commitment to keep to a exercise regiment. Keep the green side up!

• Brittany Foster

June 12, 2018 at 1:52 pm

Thank you for the encouragement Harold. I love learning more about you too. I’m sorry that seems like such a difficult time in your life. I also have afib so I know just how scary an attack like that can be and the stress that it of course puts onto the body. It seems like you have a great handle on knowing the type of care that works for you and how to go about getting that! We need only the best for us! It takes an army when faced with a medical condition but the leader has to be YOU! Keeping control is so important!

• Terry D. Blissett

June 12, 2018 at 1:02 pm

That’s great. Thanks for sharing that! That certainly encourages me to keep my foot on the pedal concerning exercise. Thanks again!

• Bunny Ferguson Benzing Sharp

June 12, 2018 at 1:31 pm

I was diagnosed August 2017 with mild PH. I read articles of people who have it much worse as they are
    on oxygen. Yet, I can walk on short distances without my legs feeling so weak that I feel the need to
    sit down I will then put the oximeter on and my heart will be racing in the 120 range. I have had a pacemaker since 2005 (this is my second one) and it is set for my normal heart rate of 60bpm. I have been told that the right side of my heart has weakened. I am seeing my cardiologist tomorrow and will get the results of my most recent echogram. I am battling fatigue. Yesterday we went to church and then to lunch as we always do, with family and friends. As we left the restaurant, I told my husband that I just felt exhausted I get discouraged as I don’t understand why with a mild diagnosis, I can’t do more without feeling exhausted. I am 76 years old, but I really don’t think of myself as an “OLD” person even though I know others do. LOL